The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to do a diff oil change

nasoup

Undo the bolt on the side of the diff (approx half way up it) some oil may leak out depending on previous overfilling and the level of your car.

Then unbolt the drain plug on the bottom of the diff and allow to drain. Refit this and then refill from the side hole until it begins to seep out (you'll need a syringe / pump / or plastic bottle with flexi nozzle for this).

:)

• 1 month later...
Is it a 10mm allen key?

... and buy a new plug so it'll be removable next time?

I have no idea what allen key size is needed, I still havnt done it yet :rolleyes:. As for the plug as lon g as the thread is alright I can't see any reason to replace it.

Would it be a good idea to put some cooper slip on the thread though?

As for the plug as long as the thread is alright I can't see any reason to replace it.
I was referring to the suggestion that
If it does round don't panic just knock a torx bit into it and heat it up a bit
You might want to put in a new plug if you experienced that.

I'll find out what size allen key it is tomorrow when I top up my diff oil.

It is a 10mm allen key...
You posted as I was composing - thanks Hoppy (nice car you have there; very unassuming from the outside) Edited by Need4Speed (see edit history)

Fortunately a 10mm socket allen key and an impact wrench got the plug out (the value of good tools). I dare say it's easy with a breaker bar but I haven't got my car lift installed yet so access and leverage were a sod... hence the impact wrench.;)

JamieP has a novel way of quickly draining the oil.
I assume this involves his substantial engine trashing the diff and casing? Edited by Need4Speed
added quote from CW (see edit history)

• 11 years later...
On 9/19/2010 at 6:32 PM, Swampy442 said:

And use quality tools, I broke a pair of 10mm allen keys trying to get the plugs out :(

Here's a thread revival! Cheers for the correct allen size, after getting the crud out of the diff allen filler/empty sockets, smacked in a 10 mm hex bit, and using my breaker bar (ratchet wouldn't budge them), both bolts cracked off nicely. Glad I did it, as the diff oil was a tad thick. Some nice castrol in now. 

• Like 1