The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diagnosis? Not Really Techy.

Fitz

Over the last month or so I have had a 'jingling' noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel. Initially, as I needed the wheel bearing changed I put it down to that being the case.

However, after having it changed I could still hear the 'jingle' so then I thought it could be the brakes and put it down to a missing 'anti-rattle shim' but in the daylight I did check and they are all in place. I had a good look around the wheel and the brake but couldn't see what it could be.

Today, I decided to take the centre caps off and check the studs (as I didn't really feel the need to check them as that particular wheel had been off 2-3 times by Darren at Whifbitz, due to changing a few parts. So, all the studs were fine (as expected) but I saw a Metal hedgehog thingy and poked it, low and behold I have found the source of the jingling.

The only problem I have is that I dont know what it is or why it is able to move, I mean it is held in place but isn't 'secured'. Anyway, I took a picture of it. Forgive me as I cant seem to edit on a mac it's the spikey hedgehog thing round the center at the back :D

IMG00088-20100917-1214.jpg

You mean the split pin that it securing the hub or "castle" nut?

If that's jangling about, just reposition the two end legs of the pin with some needle nosed pliers and a percussion tool.

I think that's called a Clevis Pin, I think.

edited, You can hear that while driving? Can you hear mice making love in the fields at night?

Edited by Rob (see edit history)

You mean the split pin that it securing the hub or "castle" nut?

If that's jangling about, just reposition the two end legs of the pin with some needle nosed pliers and a percussion tool.

I think that's called a Clevis Pin, I think.

edited, You can hear that while driving? Can you hear mice making love in the fields at night?

I always drive with the window down, but as hard as it may seem to believe I can hear it whilst driving :( rather annoying.

It's the castle nut behind the split pin which is causing the noise.