The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What fuel do you use?

optim8

Just a quick question, I've alway run mine on the Tesco 99 ron, but during my Scotland trip a few weeks ago and subsequent trip through Wales, I ended up putting standard Super unleaded and even half a tank of Regular (only garage in the back of beyond!!).

To be honest the car's ran sweet as a nut what ever I put in it, so just wondering what everyone else runs with?

Thinking may be just stick with the Super and save a few quid.:)

I always put Tesco 99 in as its the cheapest Super Unleaded near me.

I used to use the V Power from shell until they kept running out all the time and shut down one of the petrol stations near me.

I had to put normal in once when i was desperate and it ran really sluggish and i had a misfire too which was a bit scary. Never doing that again :D

My car is TT BPU though and that might have something to do with it but not sure.

Imo you dont need vpower in a stock twin car, i have always run my tt's on normal 95, if you are pushing a bpu to the limit then maybe worth it.

On the note of what fuel is best i was at MRC the audi tunner a few weeks back and the mapper there swears by tesco 99, he said he always gets better power on that than vpower.

Always used to use V-Power, and still do if i am near one and need fuel. But now that i have moved there is a tesco store 5 mins away so i have started using Momentum 99 as it is cheaper and i believe very good.

What i hate using is BP Utimate, its expensive and my current car, the last supra and my old impreza drink it like water, doesnt last 5 mins

V-Power all the time, it'll detonate if not. Paul also said I could run tesco 99 fine but I haven't tried it yet, so that ties up with that audi MRC tuner.

I once had to put BP ultimate in and the det light would flash on boost, so I had to run that fuel right out the system before I could go near the boost again :(

95 RON is fine if you've got a long, easy jaunt to cover. Best not boost too much though if you're BPU or more. Even on 400+ bhp, mine runs just fine on any 97 RON on trackdays.

Here's a little known nugget of information for you:

It's cheaper for a petrol company to send out a tanker of premium petrol and use it to stock up both the regular and premium tanks at the petrol station, than it is to send 2 tankers to supply both grades of fuel. So, any time you buy regular petrol, there's a good chance you're getting premium for cheap.

So does that mean you run your on 95 assuming the chances are it'll be 97?

95 RON is fine if you've got a long, easy jaunt to cover. Best not boost too much though if you're BPU or more. Even on 400+ bhp, mine runs just fine on any 97 RON on trackdays.

Here's a little known nugget of information for you:

It's cheaper for a petrol company to send out a tanker of premium petrol and use it to stock up both the regular and premium tanks at the petrol station, than it is to send 2 tankers to supply both grades of fuel. So, any time you buy regular petrol, there's a good chance you're getting premium for cheap.

So does that mean you run your on 95 assuming the chances are it'll be 97?

Not at all, I always buy the best available. I'm just saying that IF you find you're stuck with a choice of 95 or nothing, then A) it'll be fine, and B) there's a good chance it'll be better than fine.

Imo you dont need vpower in a stock twin car, i have always run my tt's on normal 95, if you are pushing a bpu to the limit then maybe worth it.

On the note of what fuel is best i was at MRC the audi tunner a few weeks back and the mapper there swears by tesco 99, he said he always gets better power on that than vpower.

i agree i done a tesco and got about 20 more miles out my tank than the same week run on vpower

this is a recent change though because they used tobe about the same IMO

NEVER USE SAINSBURY SUPER ITS JUST THE SAME AS 95 AT ANY OTHER STATION !!!!!

i was doing a test of all my local sations and found sainburys the worst by far was think of even sending a letter

tesco the best then

v power

esso

bp

Edited by mellonman
more info (see edit history)

No worries, cheers for the tip Ark. Seeing as I'm completely Stock TT (for now;)) I'll go with the 97. My local Tescos is never on my way anywhere so not having to worry about getting 99 will save me a load of time traveling to get it.

Not at all, I always buy the best available. I'm just saying that IF you find you're stuck with a choice of 95 or nothing, then A) it'll be fine, and B) there's a good chance it'll be better than fine.