The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear axle stuck to diff?

Guest Luigi

Im attempting to change a rear wheel bearing in the RZ. Problem is the axle shaft wont pull away from the diff shaft flange face, after removing the six bolts.

Are there any tricks to doing this? ... as I've tried tapping the shaft flange to no avail. I dont want to hit too hard lest the diff shaft brg is damaged.

The output flanges have a bit of a lip that the driveshafts sit into. The mating surfaces can get well and truely stuck together simply from being a tight fit to begin with plus years of corrosion and road crud doing their bit.

A good spraying of penetrating oil might help break the joint and steady but firm taps to the side of the drive where it meets the output flange while rotating the shaft should see it seperate.

Thanks guys, the car is already up on stands.

I've got the rest of the weekend to get this little job done, I think I might be unpacking and using some extra words from somewhere in the bottom of my old toolbox. :taped: :D

Well, I left the car on the workstands and combined the tips you gave me; ie ...

1. soaked the join with "squirty"

2. heated the diff shaft flange with the wifes industrial hair drier,

3. put it in gear

4. placed an unused jack-stand under the car just behind the suspension

5. put the wheel back on

6. Put floor-jack handle thru wheel spoke and on to top of unused jack-stand

7. protect wheel spoke with pigskin gardening glove

8. Remember Chris's words, then apply an upward pressure on the exposed end of jack handle

9. "Worked a treat" :cool:

Thanks again.

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

Edited by Luigi (see edit history)