The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dartford Crossing Stitch Up

400BHP

Does anyone else thing this is a stitch up? have a look at their website Dartford Crossing (click traffic flow) and imagine how much money they have raked in, well over the cost of the construction and running of the thing.

I think they should lower the charge, £1 doesn't sound like a lot but I cross the thing twice a day, every day, thats 40 quid a month if I don't use it at weekends, I have sent them an email hoping to get a reply.

I think we should all send the same email and try and get an explanation, strenght in numbers and all that...!

I was looking at your website, when I came across some facts and figures, if 836,761,316 vehicles have used the bridge and tunnels since 1963, I would assume you would have collected revenue somewhere in the region of at least 800 million pounds, why do you still charge motorists so heavily to use these crossings.

If you have an average of 139,000 people crossing the tolls every day, the revenue you must be collecting is enormous, probably above £200,000, this seems a little unfair when the motorist is already burdened enough don’t you think?

Branners has it in a nut-shell. The government went back on its promise to make it free when it had paid for itself. It would be a lot smoother running without all those toll-booths. I live in France where a lot of Autoroutes have tolls, but I don't mind because there's always an alternative route that's free. There's no viable alternative to the Dartford crossing.

Originally posted by Branners

Dartford Tunnel was fully paid off in 2002 I think, but they decided to continue taking funds and use those for road improvements etc.

So yes, its a rip off.

JB

I see, and exactly how much has been spent on the improvements since... hmm lets guess ;)

Gaz.

hehe, now that would be cool - the people in the kiosks all wearing highwayman costumes and saying 'Halt thee, one gold piece to pass'

They could even give you travelling tips like 'Don't venture into yonder Bluewater at night, for ye spirits will be after thee'.

'DART card? That be the devil's work'

'Tunnel? That be the entrance to the gates of hell, Sire'.

omg, I've lost it big time

the problem with tunnels is keeping water out of them, it might have recovered the costs a while back but its gonna need re-lining in a couple of years time which costs a bastard fortune! although with the sheer volume of traffic using the tunnel and the money they seen to be making they are taking the piss a bit:(

a quid is nothing really, to get over the severn bridge (either one:) ) it costs over a fiver:eek:

But did anyone ever say the Severn Bridge would be free once it was paid for?

There was a definite government commitment to this effect in respect of the Dartford Tunnel which von Blair and das Brown have cynically broken in the interests of fleecing us

Originally posted by martynb

But did anyone ever say the Severn Bridge would be free once it was paid for?

fair one m8, i didn't realise it was a government project.

i assumed that the dartford tunnel was funded and run by a private company like most of the other major civil engineering projects in this country

Ooops - you have made me do a quick bit of research and this link provides the detail.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_503206-01.hcsp

Apologies for my misleading post but the origianl intention was definitely that there would be no further collections once the crossing was paid for.

My memory has obviously faded a bit since the project started but I deffo recall a row recently when the govt made an announcement that they would continue to charge beyond the period of the agreement.

slinks away quietly.....:stupid:

no you are right, that project summary definately states that

A Concession Agreement was awarded on the basis that the contract will terminate after 20years or upon the contractor covering its costs, whichever is first. Tolls will then be collected for a further year for the benefit of the Secretary of State for a maintenance fund. The Consortium's contract is currently forecast to end in 2003. The crossing will then fully revert to Government.

now to me that looks like the tolls should be removed at some point this year.

im afraid that wont happen, the costs for running highway structures that size are astronomical and i refuse to believe that the govenment will just soak them up in an already very tight highway maintainance budget:(

Well done MartynB, I have written an email to the Highways agency (Malcom Webbe) saying:

Others should do same....

Having read the article on the dartford crossing and the highway robbery that is the tolls, I would be interested to know what the future holds for this pay-per-use cash cow?

Did anyone hear about the scam the two guys who used to work the Dartford crossing where doing ? Apparantly every 3rd car they kept the quid and let the car through,they did this for about 10 years before they got caught - they had bagged a small fortune - may be just urban myth though but im pretty sure it was in the papers

Don't forget the other fantastic reason for keeping the tolls at the Dartford Crossing, as published in the local papers.

If they abolish the £1 toll, all the people who go through Blackwall and Rotherhithe will use the Dartford Crossing instead.

Thats a cracker.:baa: :baa: