The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT3582R ported shroud

keef701

Hi, I am looking to buy a Garrett GT3582R with an .82 Turbine housing with T4 inlet flange.

My question is, would it be worth ordering one with a ported shroud compressor housing or not, for the sake of about an extra £65?

I know the ported shroud is to help reduce surge, but would it be necessary on a .82 housing when it is spooling up a little later than say a .63?

The turbo is going to mounted on a cast manifold, so it may spool up a little quicker than a tubular mounted version. This may make a difference, but I am not sure.

Also has anybody had any experience with ordering parts through GT3TURBO.com, as they have this turbo up for about £995, or does anybody have any recommendations to buy one from.

Thanks.

I would only buy from a registered Garrett dealer. There are a LOT of really good Chinese fake Garretts about these days. I have no idea if the site sells the real thing or not, but you need to be beware. I use Turbo Dynamics for Garrett turbos. I would also get it in writing that it has the correct Ni-Resist turbine housing. You need this material for reliable high output petrol engine usage. I am not qualified to comment on the ported compressor inlet.

Hi, I am looking to buy a Garrett GT3582R with an .82 Turbine housing with T4 inlet flange.

My question is, would it be worth ordering one with a ported shroud compressor housing or not, for the sake of about an extra £65?

I know the ported shroud is to help reduce surge, but would it be necessary on a .82 housing when it is spooling up a little later than say a .63?

The turbo is going to mounted on a cast manifold, so it may spool up a little quicker than a tubular mounted version. This may make a difference, but I am not sure.

Also has anybody had any experience with ordering parts through GT3TURBO.com, as they have this turbo up for about £995, or does anybody have any recommendations to buy one from.

Thanks.

I've had two dealings with GT3 Turbo - both of them awful. I was only buying some gaskets and flanges.

Avoid like Chris Wilson's coffee!

Indeed give Turbo Dynamics a call (They're in Christchurch) on 01202 487497.

They can advise, as well as possibly show you all the turbos etc if you popped on down.

Very friendly guys and friendly service too. Also haggle on price if you can give them a link to a genuine GT35R with .82 housing from somewhere else.

Edit : http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/acatalog/Garrett_Turbochargers_GT_Ball_Bearing.html

My god a GT5533R .... 1.40 A/R is fecking huge!

Turbine wheel is cast from Inconel material for extreme applications - Five free-float, non-wastegated turbine housing options available 1500 BHP potential - Drag racing applications only
Edited by caseys (see edit history)

I ran a GT3582R AR .82 with standard shroud on a tubular manifold and in256/ex264 cams, spool up was very quick making positive boost at just over 2K rpm. On a cast manifold it'd probably be slightly quicker. I wouldn't worry about spool up, it'll be very quick with or without the ported shroud, not sure you'd noticed any difference.