The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm back - computers.....pfft

Lewis

A couple of things really.

To start with - it is NOT possible to manually overclock a 1.4AMD by 65% even with water cooling :D........

On that note, I bought some new hardware:

Athlon 64-bit 3200(RTL)

MSI K8T Neo (64-bit mobo)

2x DiamondMax 200GB S-ATA harddrives

3x6-80GB DiamondMax IDE Drives (already had these)

2 GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM

Silver "Zorro" Case (4x5.25 6x3.25 bays) and loads of blue/red flashing L.E.D's

Microsoft very kindly let m download Windows XP 64-bit (2003) for FREE! :D

The S-ata drives are amazing...So much so that I bought a RAID array with 5 of them in.

Now in the new AMD machine I am running over half a terabyte of HDD's running RAID0 (this will be changed back to no raid once the ney array arrives which will be RAID 5)

So... thats why I haven't been here for a few days, been building it and setting it all up.

Anyone wanting pictures/reviews of any of the kit feel free to ask.

Also set up a new MSN as the old one was full of people I try to avoid (Paul E) so anyone wanting the new one : support at stealthhosts dot com

Ta

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - There is a space in it that would fit a mug but I can't find where you put the teabags???

Just thought I would add that all of the above that was purchased cost ~£400

I didn't need a mad GFX card as I have one already (256mb, DDR)

Microsoft very kindly let m download Windows XP 64-bit (2003) for FREE

What's "64-bit " Windows XP

Is it the standard version?

Wouldn't mind getting XP on my machine, suppose to get less problems than "ME".

Where did you download it from?

Cheers

It's very hard to explain.....

Windows 3.1 was 16bit

Windows XP was/is 32bit

Windows 2003 is 64-bit - so it kind of gives yuo an idea of the difference.

You do need the hardware to support it though, the installer won't even run on 32bit hardware.

Brain ---- they are not?

But there is that old lady in the advert who has one on her stereo?...... damn false advertising

200 - nah mate - first line of the post...."It is not possible to overclock...."

lol - means I fried it

I do have loads of kit anyway though, CPU's, HDD's, NIC's etc etc

Let me know what you want (either brand new or second hand)

Originally posted by stealthhosts

I bought some new hardware:

Athlon 64-bit 3200(RTL)

MSI K8T Neo (64-bit mobo)

2x DiamondMax 200GB S-ATA harddrives

2 GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM

Silver "Zorro" Case (4x5.25 6x3.25 bays) and loads of blue/red flashing L.E.D's

Just thought I would add that all of the above that was purchased cost ~£400

~£400 ? NO WAY ! :eek:

My mobo supports SATA but I'm not really sure what it is (I know what it stands for). What's so great about it?

Originally posted by dangerous brain

The cables are smaller so you dont have cooling flow problems in the case etc etc

Thank God somebody has at last fixed the (non-existant) problem of IDE ribbon cables disrupting air flow. :D

64 bit - no compatibility issues and I don't just have the "standard" software - I have some really whack stuff and it all works fine (emulates 16 & 32 - like you would want to?!?)

Jake, you can buy IDE round ribbons that are far easier to work with - I think belkin make some?

S-ATA has a transfer rate of 150mb/sec

The cables are 1cm wide and 2mm thick so a vast improvement on previous technologies (and they have no pins).

I am also using core-cell technology and D.O.T to handle over-clocking. The H2O cooling will be put on this machine as/when I get round to it.

WSB2 - "i dont see point in going 32bit yet......but someone always has to be first" I agree in principle, but I really think you should go 32bit - windows 3.11 really doesn't do it for me :D

64bit is far better - I ran 12 simultaneous benchmarks using DX9 on Operation flashpoint -cold war crisis, CPU was 44% (which was good).

Trying to get hold of the 64bit sisoft sandra to do some load testing - will post the results.

Jake, do you want a pic of the S-ata cables? tiny in comparison.

Yeah - IDE though Jake, I would seriously consider S-ATA for drives like that.

Like I said - I have so many harddrives it's untrue but these ones really are impressive.

As a rough guide (bearing in mind that the whole PC is new, not much installed) it installed Photoshop 7 in 48 secs - it impressed me anyway.

BTW - ambient case temp drops around 4-8deg on a cold start without the IDE cables in - to me thats significant.

The case has 2 80mm external fans and the rack has air/con so 8degs is a lot of difference.

I'm just reading this while speccing up my in-car PC system. I'm trying to keep the price down (sorta) but going for an Intel platform (let's not start an argument about AMD/Intel... I won't be convinced) and just some Wi/Fi and stuff... here's what I've got so far:

• Intel P4E 2.8 800FSB 1MB cache
  • 1GB Corsair RAM
  • 36GB WD Raptor SATA C:
  • 250GB WD Caviar SATA D:
  • nVidia FX5600XT (cos it works with Windows XPMCE)
  • Some Creative sound card
  • Some Wi-Fi card

Is there anything I'm missing here, or does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve water-cooling in my car or moving to AMD? :p

...SATA is the way to go. A friend has 2 75GB Raptors, and boy are they FAST! These and Corsair dual-DDR sees Windows boot from cold in about 20-30 seconds. Crazy! :blink:

Hmmmm.....

WSB2 - just read the last line of your post, I presume you are not calling me stupid?

What exactly is the advantage of a 64-bit server?

Are you talking fileserver, mailserver, webserver or what? I see no advantages at all?

64-bit systems will primarily be used by home gamers and CAD/GFX designers, there is no advantage in a server environment. It can't handle any more threads, it is simply a GUI handler.

With regard to emulation, this has been in windows for years. Right click on an EXE in XP and you will see you can emulate all different OS's and architectures, they have simply added 32-bit emulation (something that was pointless before as you were in 32-bit).

In actual fact, everything just runs and auto-selects what mode it run's in so there is no manual intervention. The OS is cleaner with more options and allows you to run the whole machine in 32-bit if you wish.

Have you used a 64-bit machine?

Originally posted by lightwave

I'm just reading this while speccing up my in-car PC system. I'm trying to keep the price down (sorta) but going for an Intel platform (let's not start an argument about AMD/Intel... I won't be convinced) and just some Wi/Fi and stuff... here's what I've got so far:

• Intel P4E 2.8 800FSB 1MB cache
  • 1GB Corsair RAM
  • 36GB WD Raptor SATA C:
  • 250GB WD Caviar SATA D:
  • nVidia FX5600XT (cos it works with Windows XPMCE)
  • Some Creative sound card
  • Some Wi-Fi card

Is there anything I'm missing here, or does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve water-cooling in my car or moving to AMD? :p

...SATA is the way to go. A friend has 2 75GB Raptors, and boy are they FAST! These and Corsair dual-DDR sees Windows boot from cold in about 20-30 seconds. Crazy! :blink:

You know that the P stands for Pricey right?

I don't need to debate... AMD is better/cheaper/more stable and quicker :D- The only Intels I use are in the webservers, and thats all they are good for.

Any reason for 2 drives? when one is only 36GB

I realise this will be your OS drive, but why not partition the larger drive?

Perhaps you would like a motherboard to go with that?

Originally posted by lightwave

I'm just reading this while speccing up my in-car PC system. .....................

................Is there anything I'm missing here, or does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve water-cooling in my car or moving to AMD? :p

http://www.btinternet.com/~duncandriver/Supra/threadhijack.jpg

Dude, are you allergic to starting your own threads or something? :tongue:

Just kidding mate!

You know that the P stands for Pricey right?

I don't need to debate... AMD is better/cheaper/more stable and quicker :D- The only Intels I use are in the webservers, and thats all they are good for.

Any reason for 2 drives? when one is only 36GB

I realise this will be your OS drive, but why not partition the larger drive?

Perhaps you would like a motherboard to go with that?

Well, the reason for two drives was that I need collosal capacity hence the 250, but I want a Raptor for the OS drive, and it doesn't even need to be as big as 36GB, but that'll do.

If I had the 250 as a single drive (or had 2 250s) and partitioned it, then it'd be quite a bit slower. I really need this Raptor C:.

I am considering a motherboard to go with this lot, yeah :D but I'm just making my mind up. Having had a fair few, I still beleive you get stability in what you pay for and Gigabyte are unmatched for being rock solid. Although they're not the fastest mobo's, speed of the system will come down to other I/O and the hard drives more than the motherboard. Hence that Raptor.

Any mobo suggestions then? :)

Jake, do you want a pic of the S-ata cables? tiny in comparison.

I'm sure they are mate but they're no use to me without buying new HDDs are they? Like I said, my mobo supports sata, but I'm not replacing 400 gig of disk to switch to sata - well not just yet anyway.