The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet struts / Lifters

Tyson

Opening statement ... yes I have used the search button but the threads are over 14 months old.

I love everything about my supra even down to the way the bonnet shuts (sad I know) but there are a couple of things letting it down wheels (being sorted), my A/C temp adjuster light has blown and the fact it doesn't have bonnet lifters. On my old car which was an mg zr there were no kits available so I had the use the lifters from a mk4 astra to which I had to drill a couple of nasty holes in my bonnet to mount them. But once done and tidied up you couldn't notice that they weren't standard.

Are there any kits other than the top secret one :blink: and the ebay jobbie? I have read the ebay ones don't fit properly and stress the bonnet hinges is this true as I want to do it properly and not bodge it like on the ZR. Also I am not willing to pay TS's price as its insane !!

Opening statement ... yes I have used the search button but the threads are over 14 months old.

I love everything about my supra even down to the way the bonnet shuts (sad I know) but there are a couple of things letting it down wheels (being sorted), my A/C temp adjuster light has blown and the fact it doesn't have bonnet lifters. On my old car which was an mg zr there were no kits available so I had the use the lifters from a mk4 astra to which I had to drill a couple of nasty holes in my bonnet to mount them. But once done and tidied up you couldn't notice that they weren't standard.

Are there any kits other than the top secret one :blink: and the ebay jobbie? I have read the ebay ones don't fit properly and stress the bonnet hinges is this true as I want to do it properly and not bodge it like on the ZR. Also I am not willing to pay TS's price as its insane !!

I have a set of these bought them off ebay, work perfectly. Yours if you want them, I will even fit them for you. 10 min job. :)

I have a set of these bought them off ebay, work perfectly. Yours if you want them, I will even fit them for you. 10 min job. :)

oooo yes please is it true they stress the hinges though?

i have a way of building these hinges so they dont stress the hinge bolts and look like they should be factory

How much?

Few days mate, have to refit them then ill take pics.

One problem i had was those stupid hooks that go into the bonnet when you close it, the bracket on the struts nocked, you could angle it but ive seen people remove the hooks with 2 bolts next to the hinge, so i removed mine.

coolio hope they are not silly money though :rolleyes:

what's the difference between those and the ebay ones apart from double the price?

You can tune them to be softer and harder! around double the price of the ebay ones...to be fair if i had the money id buy pauls..but i dont:D

Guest blueangel
Looking at mine, i dont see how they can stress the hinge or the bolt, remove the bolt, put the bracket over the hinge, tighten the bolt, brackets cant bend...mine seem fine:)

They fit between the hinge and the bonnet they stress the threads in the bonnet as with the plate in place the hinge doesnt locate flush like it is designed to.

These are mine

:cool: eliminating the problem

Few days mate, have to refit them then ill take pics.

One problem i had was those stupid hooks that go into the bonnet when you close it, the bracket on the struts nocked, you could angle it but ive seen people remove the hooks with 2 bolts next to the hinge, so i removed mine.

You removed them?

You are aware they are a safety feature, they are designed to stop the bonnet going through the windscreen the event of an front impact...

Guest blueangel

The whifbitz lifters still look like they just bolt under the hinge so the problem with excess stress on the threads in the bonnet is still there and even worse on a carbon bonnet.