The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Contemporary Supra

Robby

How do you think a contemporary look to the MkIV can be created?

I'm a bit loathed to do a done to death look.

For example, would wheels like these look good or ridiculous?

Maybe the spoilerless look leans towards the way cars are being built today?

I saw the headlight conversion someone was doing in the TS bumper and that looks quality. (Although it looks a serious amount of hassle!)

Any ideas peeps?

I guess because there has never been the MkV is hard to know where the styling would have gone.

images.jpeg

I think the Trial rear bumper gives a good modern look to the mk4. Most of the said sporty cars comes with a diffuser like that.

It is kinda wide so perhaps it would be a good idea to use it with skirts...

Yeah the trial rear is definitely the smoothest looking. What skirts would match it, smooth and low?

This is the way I'm going with mine and hopefully have it all done over winter whilst the car is off the road.

I'm going for a very OEM+ look but want to keep to the stock lines as much as possible.

Fresh respray(keeping it black) and then having rear boot and front bumper smoothed of numberplate/badge holes, aerial hole removed and going for a shark fin style roof mounted aerial

M3 CSL wheels

Porsche 997 seats

Red leather retrim of seats(front and back) and the door armrests, and then the rest trimmed in black leather.

and then after that it'll just be smaller bits, still trying to find a suitable steering wheel.

Them wheels & similar ones like them will not work as well on the Supra, obviously IMO.

They look too jagged to go with the smooth lines of the MK4, they suit the reventon well due to the aggressive boxy shapes around the car & sharp edges etc. Though on the Supra they would look a bit off key.

I personally think if their was a MKV then it would look similar to the Lexus LFA.

Them wheels & similar ones like them will not work as well on the Supra, obviously IMO.

They look too jagged to go with the smooth lines of the MK4, they suit the reventon well due to the aggressive boxy shapes around the car & sharp edges etc. Though on the Supra they would look a bit off key.

I personally think if their was a MKV then it would look similar to the Lexus LFA.

Yeah thats the bit I just can't work out. I know the concept sounds crazy mixing outrageous styles like that but I don't know it might just work.

I work in design and often come across situations like this (not car related mind!) and it takes some pulling off but can look spectacular when done.

Do wish I could use Photoshop mind...!

If you look at current cars you have more details in the design as well as more "edgy" lines.

Now, thats hard to get working with the supras soft lines but you can do a few things to make it more "up-to-date".

The wheels from the lambo won't work. Completly different cars. But take a look at the Trial rear end with a diffuser. This will make the rear end look more current especially without a wing as you mention. Front wise, you have a limited offer of bumpers as most offered for the supra includes huge scoops, bad taste and room to "show off" the FMIC. This is NOT what you are looking for. Take a look at the Ridox front, that incorporates a bit more "edge" but sticks to the supra lines. Then you need some subtle skirts without any additional lines in them. Just to keep the back and front "together".

And please; don't even look at TS, Veilside or all the other things with scoops and vents. Not that there is anything wrong with them (well, actually...) but it is not what you are looking for.

Get some simple wheels, don't go 20" or so as that really doesn't fit the car design wise (or dynamically). I would look at iForged as you can get them made to fit and they have a simple, clean design available.

Debadge what you can and don't fall for cheap things. Getting the car to look contemporary OEM and up to date will cost you.

Also go for what you can on the interior. but DONT stick carbon things or weird thrim in there. The best thing to do to get an exclusive, new feel can be to get the dash, trim and doors in alcantara, black or grey. But that will cost you. Alternativly get all new panels. Some Cobra seats, sparco Milano or so but stick to the color scheme of the interior. New wheel (celica/rav4 ->05, TRD) but stay OEM.

j_jza80 also have a good plan but that won't seperate you from a lot of other supras. Also stick to a "stylish" color. Don't go bright in any way. Black, gray Quicksilver works. To hit that "contemporary" look, you will need to appeal to masses and not just your own taste. That can be hard thing to do....

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)