The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA won't start

Thomas_germany

I was out driving three days ago and when I came home the supra was fine.

Yesterday I wanted to drive but it won't start.

It turns fine but won't fire up.

Battery is ok.

Tomorrow I'll check all fuses.

I can smell fuel, when it turns, so I guess it's not the fuelpump. I think, I already got wet sparkplugs - but I'll check that on Saturday.

Can I take out a sparkplug and try starting the car to see if I got a spark?

Any idea what could cause the problem or what steps I'll have to go through?

Thomas

The engine may have just flooded, leave it for a while and try again, if it still doesn't start hold the accelerator pedal down to the floor (don't pump the pedal) and try turning the engine over again.

If it still doesn't start then time to check the plugs for a spark.

Another thought, is there anyway water could have got into the engine bay?

did you loosen any of the electrical boxes to clean under them? i did that on an n/a once and it turns out that the box on the right as you're looking into the engine bay is earthed by the bolts that hold it in place and i forgot to tighten them properly. it started initially and then stopped further down the road and wouldnt fire up till i tightened the bolts properly

I had a celica that wouldnt start,for some reason it dumped all the petrol in the cylinders at once,

i put about 5ml of oil in each cylinder turned it over by hand a cpl of times the tried to start it it fired up with a bit of smoke obviously at first then was fine after that, it seems the petrol washed the oil away from the compression rings so it was low on compression then the oil i put in each cyclinder created a seal to give me compression again.

Ok folks, I tried a couple of thing:

1. Checked all fuses in the enginebay (optical) - ok

2. Checked Starter-Relais - ok

I switched it around with the Fog-Light-Relais, which is the same circuit. Fog-Lights worked with the startert-Relais, but car still wouldn't start on the Fog-Light-Relais.

3. Took a sparkplug out and grounded it to the battery - no spark.

When I tried to start, I had the battery connected to my other car, which was running. The Supra's battery was a little low. I smelled the fuel in the engine, so I guess the fuelpump works. I can hear it running also.

4. Checked all fuses it the car next to the gaspedal - ok

Tried to start again - now eithout my other car connected to the battery. The result is strange. The car wouldn't even turn. Not even a ticking noise. Even the clock and all dashlights are going out. Could my battery be dead?

What steps should I do next?

Edited by Thomas_germany (see edit history)

If you have connected another car to increase cranking speed and its slowed down or now not cranking you have done something wrong. I would suggest you may have connected the jump leads the wrong way arround

If you have done that you could have blown the main fuse, not sure if its 120 amp same as the TT

If you have connected another car to increase cranking speed and its slowed down or now not cranking you have done something wrong. I would suggest you may have connected the jump leads the wrong way arround

I think you got me wrong. At the first try, I had my other car connected. I even did that yesterday. I defo didn't do it wrong.

But I'll check the 120A fuse tomorrow.

Are you able to remove the spark plugs and suck the fuel out of the cylinders? This could save alot of time.

If you want to get power back into the supra battery then hook your second car up to it and run the engine for ten minutes then unhook the leads and try starting the supe.

I can be quite patronizing sometimes :D

Seems to be the Ignition Coil or the Dissy. I'll try another Ignition Coil first - should be cheaper and less work then the dissy.

I'll try to find somebody in Germany, who let me try his igntion coil. If I can't find somenody - see here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=2886083#post2886083

Edited by Thomas_germany (see edit history)

maybe try turning the key lol lol! have you checked the coilpacks mate? one time i was driving doin about a ton down my estate(they dont call me ten second trev for nothin bruvva!) and my car started making a splyutty sound, so iz got out and checked me coil packs! they wuz wet so i got me birds nickers and dried em off! worked a charm !

w t f