The mkiv Supra Owners Club

History of my JSpec Soop.. Conspiracy Theory!!

osso

You know with all the problems i've had with my Supra, yep im pretty sure that they are on going!

1) blown turbo's

2) running very rich

3) ticking noise

4) loss of power beyond 5,000 rpm..

its got me thinking.. I wonder whether the previous owner in japan actually modified my soop then removed the mods and sold my soop as a standard unmodified car?! :conf: the only mod i found when it was imported was a turbo timer..

with the latest problem i am having, i am beginning to wonder if i have aftermarket injectors maybe and the previous owner just left them in there? wouldnt that explain the loss in power at 5000 rpm, running very rich at top end.. and maybe the ticking noise?

are injectors easy to identify? ie would it be easy to tell if they were stock or aftermarket ones when u take them out?

what are your thoughts on this? :thumbs:

Originally posted by Supraguy

Check the loom into the ECU. If theres loads of old splices covered up, would be a good indicator if someones messed about with it. That said though, there are harnesses available too... so cant rule that out entirely.

I suspected the same about mine, and on inspection I found a TOM's ECU which kinda suggested my stock car hasn't always been stock. :mad:

Interestingly, I also get a ticking noise sometimes that no one has been able to identify. I used to get it when the engine had been under load for a while (ragging it would be the non-technical term!). I can also get it (although I've not tried in a while) if I put the auto box in manual and drive it around in 2nd for a while.

Originally posted by mawby

I suspected the same about mine, and on inspection I found a TOM's ECU which kinda suggested my stock car hasn't always been stock. :mad:

Interestingly, I also get a ticking noise sometimes that no one has been able to identify. I used to get it when the engine had been under load for a while (ragging it would be the non-technical term!). I can also get it (although I've not tried in a while) if I put the auto box in manual and drive it around in 2nd for a while.

Surely yours is just metal contracting, (exhaust), after being heated up?

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Surely yours is just metal contracting, (exhaust), after being heated up?

No, it's definitely a ticking noise from somewhere. I have to say I noticed it much more when the car was 'stock', now I've started modifying it I haven't noticed it in a while. I'll have to listen out for it.

osso, its really easy to tell what injectors r in by just looking under the bonnet. have a look at the right hand side of the engine between the cam cover and intake manifold. sticking out of the fuel rail r six injectors which have an electrical connector and a coloured top. the stock jspecs r a light grey colour, uk's r lavender, others r red, green, etc.

i would have thought that uncontrolled injectors would have made the car drive quite shite all the time.

Pull the carpet up from the passenger footwell, undo the two nuts and pull off the protective plastic ECU cover and have a look at the wiring, takes 10 minutes. Like Supraguy says, if it looks like it's been messed around with, or even if you have a non-standard ECU then you know it's been played with. If that's the case I'd be inclined to take a drive up north to see ChrisW and let him have a look. He's worked on my VVT-i for a few years now fitting new mods, fixing other "tuners" cockups and general servicing, he knows his way around them.:)

ok i've just had a look in the engine bay, and the colour tops of my injectors are a redish pink, they were probably red at some point. :conf:

Can someone confirm that the injectors on a vvti jspec supra are a light grey colour?

I've not looked under the passenger footwell yet...

I didnt take off the ecu cover, but it doesnt look like its been moved before because the original toyota cables from the stereo are stuck on the plastic cover with the original tape..

so if thats the case and your injectors are the same colour as mine, the injectors or timing hasnt been modified.