The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it a good time to sell (1996 UK Spec)?

Guest Stuarth

Guest Stuarth

Hi All,

I am hardly driving my Supra, but as I have owned it from new it has become part of the family and therefore have never seriously considered selling it. Its service is due which, like the last few years makes me question whether to keep paying to maintain the car I rarely drive or to finally let her go.

Can anyone comment on what the market is like for selling at present? Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks,

Stuart

A lot of Supra's are currently for sale at the moment, very good examples too.

If it is a good example (sounds like it is) then it is a okay time to sell.

People are willing to pay good money if the car is in a very good condition.

Have a look through our classifieds if you have chance to get a better understanding. :)

Hi All,

I am hardly driving my Supra, but as I have owned it from new it has become part of the family and therefore have never seriously considered selling it. Its service is due which, like the last few years makes me question whether to keep paying to maintain the car I rarely drive or to finally let her go.

Can anyone comment on what the market is like for selling at present? Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks,

Stuart

A single owner UK spec 96 will fetch good money but you are selling to a very specific market, so you could sell it in a day or it may take 6 months. What price were you thinking of putting it up for?

Keep it, there will come a day when you will regret it, if its a part of the family itll be even worse..trust me. Rare as anything, itll just go to europe, keep hold of it and you could end up with a VERY DESIRABLE supra, Uk spec! 1 owner! and the rest...keep it if you can mate. I bet when they become super rare in a few years you will be able to call a very very high price on it.

It will only be a good time to sell if you get what you want for it, time wasteing fools will depress you no end with stupid emails telling you its worth £x etc.

Whats the spec on the car ? mileage, condition, is it stock etc, some pics would be nice :)

Guest Stuarth

Many thanks for all your responses. I have attached a few pics for those of you who requested.

My car is UK Spec 6-Speed Manual Twin Turbo with all the UK high spec such as electric driver's seat (both heated), electric windows, CD x6, Alarm, bonnet scoop etc. It is completely unmodified.

Just hit £100K miles. I went to buy a used Supra and discovered that 1996 would be the end to the UK spec so ended up buying a new one in April 1996, so only one careful owner (me) and was told it was the last manual sold in the UK (but that could have been just sales talk, although they did try to sell me an auto).

It has a full Toyota service history and MOT'd until end of April 2011. It has had the usual replacements:

New exhaust 2 yrs ago

New radiator 4 yrs ago

A/C regased and pipes replaced

New tyres (only 600 miles use)

Cam belt replaced last year

I have to admit I might find it very hard to let her go, if at all!!

048-crop.jpg

046-crop.jpg

043-crop.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics, your car looks in very good condition.

To give you an idea an excellent condition 94 L reg UK spec auto with 71,000 miles with full dealer history just sold for approx £10,000 to an overseas buyer.

Yours would command a higher value due to it being a six speed as their considered to be the holy grail so to speak.

not surprised after 14 yrs!

Can I just ask bar the bits mentioned above has the car ever let you down or needed any other repairs......alternator, water pump etc? I always like to find this sort of thing out from long term owners :)

btw i'd say keep it unless you are giving up the whole second/weekend/sporty cars altogether? The costs could be kept down by giving up on the Toyota servicing (I dread to think what the exhaust replacement invoice totalled!).

Saying that the demand for UK spec cars is still strong and a good price could well be obtained from an overseas buyer, I would say that cars like yours are unlikely to depreciate much but who can be sure?

Another option is to sell yours and get a very late low mile 1999/2000 manual twin turbo import, which would be unlikely to cost you a penny to swap, however I suspect you'd rather keep yours if staying a supra owner. :)

That's simply flawless. Original owner from new, almost unheard of these days.

Don't sell it unless you absolutely must! And then advertise it here first, where

someone who appreciates the car could get first chance.

Sorry but I would take nigel's 16-17K quote with a pinch of salt, but you never

know...depends how bad someone wants a lovely original model.

I did pay more than that for my one-owner red '95, but it was exact spec I wanted,

LHD, manual, and aerotop. Was really sorry to let that go but circumstances

dictated. In a market saturated with cheap import RHDs then it is hard to keep

the prices up.

Edited by paulrenn (see edit history)

Many thanks for all your responses. I have attached a few pics for those of you who requested.

My car is UK Spec 6-Speed Manual Twin Turbo with all the UK high spec such as electric driver's seat (both heated), electric windows, CD x6, Alarm, bonnet scoop etc. It is completely unmodified.

Just hit £100K miles. I went to buy a used Supra and discovered that 1996 would be the end to the UK spec so ended up buying a new one in April 1996, so only one careful owner (me) and was told it was the last manual sold in the UK (but that could have been just sales talk, although they did try to sell me an auto).

It has a full Toyota service history and MOT'd until end of April 2011. It has had the usual replacements:

New exhaust 2 yrs ago

New radiator 4 yrs ago

A/C regased and pipes replaced

New tyres (only 600 miles use)

Cam belt replaced last year

That's a lovely looking car, and unless I'm mistaken I think I've seen it in the flesh. Are you the chap who travelled north (Leeds, Nottingham, I can't remember) to buy it, and have had the paint re-sprayed in the original colour to keep it in top condition? If so you've chatted to my wife about it on a garage forecourt. :)

Whether or not that was you, you have a lovely looking car there. An unmodified UK manual in very good condition will always be sought after in my opinion. It's such a rare thing that you'd be insulated from a lot of the ups and downs of the wider supra market.

As to whether it's a good time to sell... I honestly couldn't say. You'll have no trouble selling it if the price is fair, but that's true with anything. The UK spec cars are popular with people on the continent (something to do with difficulties importing Japanese-origin cars I believe).

If it is the one that I'm thinking of, I'd be sad not to see it around any more if you sell it. The one I'm thinking of is absolutely immaculate, and your photos sure as hell look like the same car.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

It really depends on the reason for selling, if you need the cash then you should get a good price. If you don't have to sell it, then don't, as I feel you would regret it in the future. Stock UK 6 speeds will be very sought after. With the mileage and history you can provide, your car will be and is worth a premium. Just forget you ever thought about selling the car, it will forgive you.