The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R154 + Paddle Shift

edinlexusV8

I now have an automatic gearbox. I got used to left foot braking and I thoroughly enjoy it. Now I am in the process of going down the Forced Induction route and am replacing the automatic gearbox to an R154 5 Speed tranny. The problem is I still would like to use my left foot for braking rather than for operating the clutch to change gears :think:

I am wondering is there any way I can use a paddle shift unit with this R154 gearbox? Has anybody ever done this? :shrug:

Let me know what you guys think would be a possible solution and are there any other option/gearboxes that are best suitable for use as paddle shift?

Edited by edinlexusV8 (see edit history)

Tiptronic box out of a facelift supra is probably your best option tbh!

How are you finding sourcing the bits needed to convert your car to a r154? I'm about to go this route to but the shifter extension is a stumbling block! There's places where you can buy the extension needed but it is costly but some are using different Toyota parts to build a shift extension it seems!

There are 4-5 going on Jap auctions but the one I am getting is from AUS.

Then you must have payed out some big money then! There never cheap from down under and cost of freight, hell they steal them all from the jap auctions site and they usualy go for around 1-1.5k easy.

You can use a Suprastick to manualise (Flappy Paddle) an A340E auto box, but not the A343E.

Info in my garage link below.

What engine are you running?

If you have more power than an A340E N/A box can handle, you can upgrade it by increasing the oil pressure and/or hybridise with A343E T.T. box components.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

You can use a Suprastick to manualise (Flappy Paddle) a 340E auto box, but not the 343E. Info in my garage link below.

What engine are you running?

If you have more power than the N/A box can handle, you can upgrade it by increasing the oil pressure and/or with 343 box components.

Wow! Your garage is amazing mate! Great job! Would be nice to see some of your performance figures. No idea what you meant when you say "Manualised A340E 4 speed automatic transmission" :think:

How much torque does the uprated internals of this gearbox handle? Your build is very interesting. Looks like you put in quite a lot of work and hours in doing those mods.

Thank's for the compliments. :blush:

At this time the transmission internals are standard, they should stand up to the engine's power, but just in case there is more than I bargained for, I have a set of oil pressure upgrade sleeves, and/or I could use T.T. A343E components to upgrade the A340E to T.T. + torque capabillity.

I need to keep the A340E box to run the SSV4.6 (Manualiser/Flappy Paddle) and use the splined Driftmotion one piece alloy prop.

Info on box hybridisation in link below.

http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=52

For installation info re. the Suprastick, click on the thumbnail in my garage for a full size pic with info below it, and also, the active SSV4 link will take you to the Latent Solutions site.

Take a browse around, there's loads of info in there.

Just a few odds and sods left to do to the engine, water/meth injection and HHO generator. (all details in garage)

It will then go on the rollers and we shall know.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Basically you need the bits from a Toyota MRS StepTronic. That is a manual box shifted with hydraulics and cables. The ECU is a stand alone unit too, but best of luck fining a pin out for it.

On a side note, it feels fuck1ng awful to drive. Stick with an uprated V8 Soarer autobox and paddle shift that as it's much easy to do. Shim the shift actuators and replace the clutch packs with a Raybestos blue kit.