The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Check your water levels!

Crockett512

Nipped down the garage for some petrol, thought it odd someone was flashing me... got back home (5min drive each way) and noticed a kind off whistling sound.... and steam.... checked my levels, tiny amount in the resevoir, and the rad took 1.5 jugs full! I'm hoping this is the cause of the steam, not BHG or thermostat.

I find it strange that the gauge in the car didn't throw up a warning?? It normally rises to mid gauge quickly and stays there.

Hopefully (for me) this is just a nice reminder... on a long journey it could have been fatal for the engine!

I'll hold my hands up and say that I don't know when I last checked the level, I'll drive it to work armed with a bottle of water and see how I go. Steam seemed to be emanating from the front, not the engine area, so at worst a split rad? Whilst topping it up I couldn't see any leaks, and I let it idle for a while and didn't notice any steam after filling up...

Not wanting to state the obvious, and not saying you did, but cold water in hot engines isn't a good idea, just for clarity. :)

Hope this is taken as intended

Rob

Sound advice! and yes I did let it cool for an hour or so before I played around.

Update: Filling it up last night proved fine on the drive to work today, so 'hopefully' the level was just too low in the resevoir. I'll be draining the system, replacing rad hoses and cap and refilling with coolant this weekend seeing as I've just put water in there as a temporary fix... hopefully got away lucky with this one!

Thermostat stuck shut and engine overheated 'pushing' it back out through the reservoir?

Possibly, though since I topped it up it's been fine, and the gauge in the dash never read high? Seems very odd. I'm changing the stat, cap, bottom and top hoses this weekend and replacing the coolant as it's not going to do any harm!