The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got a nasty bent on driver's door today. Easy fix or not ? :(

alex2jz

That's a full car respray I'd have thought mate! :(

Seriously doesn't look to bad, it's just how the red will match after it's been resprayed :)

Well that crossed my mind a bit from the first moment i've seen what i've done to the car.

It's funny because i was thinking about having a full respray in the future just for the sake of it before getting this dent :) Now it looks i really need it. It's going to have to wait anyway, NA-TT conversion is set in spring.

Cheers mate

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

I was only joking about a full respray mate :D

I'd wait to see what a few sprayers on here say but it doesn't look to bad at all really! :)

But I can totally understand where your coming from, mines having a TT conversion and a R154 box fitted this winter and it's going for a full respray after as my body has very few problems BUT being red it needs the whole panel done just to sort a scratch that's no more than 2 inches big :(

I was only joking about a full respray mate :D

I'd wait to see what a few sprayers on here say but it doesn't look to bad at all really! :)

But I can totally understand where your coming from, mines having a TT conversion and a R154 box fitted this winter and it's going for a full respray after as my body has very few problems BUT being red it needs the whole panel done just to sort a scratch that's no more than 2 inches big :(

I know the dent itself isn't major and it's placement makes it easier to fix then one , let's say in the middle of the door, but it still needs a respray in that area and paint is not easy to match :) Even so, it would be better than it is now. It breaks my heart seeing it everytime i get in the car.

Interesting project mate, the R154 seems like a good alternative to the more pricey V160/V161. Luckily my Supra already has the V161, now the hassle is finding a proper engine :rolleyes:

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

to be honest probably cheaper to get a secondhand red door i struggled to sell the ones i had and sold for about £40 each in the end.

The problem in this case is what if the two paintjobs don't match. I will probably have a temporary fix for this, straightening and spraying that area with closest matching paint until doing a full respray in the future.

How did you do it out of interest?

H.

Battery was flat, tried pushing it out of the garage, driver door was slightly opened and it hit something on the way out. Not even funny considering i've owned this car for 2 and a half years and i've never put a scratch on it until today, and what a first "scratch" it was. Hope the second one doesn't leave me without a door or something :blink:

I suspect a painter would want to blow into the rear quaternary and front wing to get a fairly good match, reds a bugger for paint fade, so glad I have black!!

:yeahthat:

But to be honest it isn't that bad & you can hardly notice it. If you have plans for a respray then I'd just hold off until then. Though if like me, it still bugs you I'd just get a 2nd hand door and hope the paint matches up good.

Not sure why you need a new door unless im missing something, its an easy fix for any decent bodyshop with a paint scheme and a hammer :D

That will be my first option. Might not look like before in the end but i'm sure a skillful mechanic can get pretty close to that.

Guest elitecustombody
Not sure why you need a new door unless im missing something, its an easy fix for any decent bodyshop with a paint scheme and a hammer :D

I agree, there is absolutely no reason to replace this door, I'm positive I can straighten it out without any grinding,filler,e.t.c.,few bumps with a hammer and a little persuasion with PDR knockdown tool to get rid of the high spot. But you will need some paint work,if a painter spend enough time matching the paint,there won't be a need to blend on quarter ant to be honest, this whole repair can be contained in a very small area without painting the whole door, I've done it countless times

Stefan

Paints cracked, even if you get the dent taken out the crackle line will still be there, give it a diy job, pull it straight, light skim of filler, prime the area, wet sand and compound the surrounding area, lay some red on, lay some clear on, wet sand it and buff it in, shame alot of people dont realise how easy jobs like these are to sort out at home

Paints cracked, even if you get the dent taken out the crackle line will still be there, give it a diy job, pull it straight, light skim of filler, prime the area, wet sand and compound the surrounding area, lay some red on, lay some clear on, wet sand it and buff it in, shame alot of people dont realise how easy jobs like these are to sort out at home

Yes, but I don't think he wants a matt black Hammerite door. ;)

Yes, but I don't think he wants a matt black Hammerite door. ;)

Dude:rlol: Holts make super red 2, which is a supra colour £3 a can at my local, £3 for primer and clear to, 1 can of each would be enough for that, a small tube of filler for £5 at halfords, some compound at halfords, and some wet and dry paper...and he will have enough to do a small repair again if he needs to. It really fun to do!

LOL@ the hammerite:D