The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trying to remove the Tailgate - Help!

Elmo

As the weather is so good today I thought I would take the tailgate off and sort out the rust which has formed in the channel between the roof and the tailgate.

I have pulled back the roof lining a few inches to have a peek to see what needs to be removed, and I now have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) I can see where the washer pipe connects to the connector (under the roof lining), if I pull the pipe off, will washer fluid Pi$$ out everywhere?

2) On the N/S there are some wires which go from under the roof lining, through the grommit, and down the side of the tailgate (I assume they are for the 3rd brake light and the rear wiper), but I can't see a connector, where is the connector located? I thought the connector would be visible somewhere under the roof liner :(

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks :)

Right, managed to find the loom connector, it's about an inch inside the tailgate on the N/Side (I Can't see it, but can feel it if I poke my finger in the hole), how the hell are you supposed to disconnect it, I can bearly reach it with one finger!?!?

As i work in an accident repair centre it would be rude to ignore this!

1. NO

2. The wiring (from memory) runs down the side of the inner 1/4 panel. Take the trim off and find the multiplug, if there isnt one you need to disconnect the wiring from inside the gate and pull it out of the tailgate where the wiring feeds through.

:)

As i work in an accident repair centre it would be rude to ignore this!

1. NO

2. The wiring (from memory) runs down the side of the inner 1/4 panel. Take the trim off and find the multiplug, if there isnt one you need to disconnect the wiring from inside the gate and pull it out of the tailgate where the wiring feeds through.

:)

Thanks for the info.

I can feel a connector about and inch after the hole in the tailgate (where the grommit is fitted), but can't get to it to disconnect it.

I took the cover panel off the underside of the tailgate to see if I can disconnect any of the plugs (wiper, 3rd brake light etc) but there are too many and the connectors are quite large, if I did manage to pull them out and feed them up through the tailgate I'm worried I would be able to feed them back in when re-fitting the tailgate. I think I might have to chop the wires before the first connector and pull it through, then re-join them later.

As the weather is so good today I thought I would take the tailgate off and sort out the rust which has formed in the channel between the roof and the tailgate.

I have pulled back the roof lining a few inches to have a peek to see what needs to be removed, and I now have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) I can see where the washer pipe connects to the connector (under the roof lining), if I pull the pipe off, will washer fluid Pi$$ out everywhere?

2) On the N/S there are some wires which go from under the roof lining, through the grommit, and down the side of the tailgate (I assume they are for the 3rd brake light and the rear wiper), but I can't see a connector, where is the connector located? I thought the connector would be visible somewhere under the roof liner :(

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks :)

you have to disconnect the white block connectors that plug into the 3rd brake light and wiper motor. Then there are 3 or 4 plastic clips that are holding the wires to the bootlid so they dont move around. Gently remove them. after you should be able to get enough play in the wire to pull it from the top (where the gromit is) and expose the connector. then you should be able to disconnect. I think you have to do the same for the other side to for the rear heated window but cant remeber as it was a long time ago that i removed my bootlid

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

if the look at the top of the bootlid there are two rubber pipes on either side that come from the roof area to the bootlid. disconnect the pipe from the bootlid and you should be able to see the connection just behined it. pull the wire out abit and disconnect. im pretty sure u have to do the same for the other side too for the wire that goes to rear heated window. As for the washer fluid pipe disconnect it where it goes into the boot lid not under the roof liner. water shouldnt come out of it when u disconnect it maybe only very little bit but nothing to worrie about.

Hi, when I say grommits, I mean those rubber pipes at the top of the tailgate. On the drivers side there are no wires going through, only on the passenger side. after pulling the rubber pipe off the passenger side I have tried pulling the wire to get better access to the connector but it won't budge enough for me to get hold of it, so I'm thinking if I chop the wires further down I should be able to just pull it through.

Well today was a write off, hopefully the sun is shining again tomorrow and I'll try again.

Hi, when I say grommits, I mean those rubber pipes at the top of the tailgate. On the drivers side there are no wires going through, only on the passenger side. after pulling the rubber pipe off the passenger side I have tried pulling the wire to get better access to the connector but it won't budge enough for me to get hold of it, so I'm thinking if I chop the wires further down I should be able to just pull it through.

Well today was a write off, hopefully the sun is shining again tomorrow and I'll try again.

you have to disconnect the white block connectors that plug into the 3rd brake light and wiper motor marked red and white on pic. Then there are 3 or 4 plastic clips(marked yellow) that are holding the wires to the bootlid so they dont move around. Gently remove the plastic clips from the bootlid. after you should be able to get enough play in the wire to pull it from the top (where the gromit is) and expose the connector. then you should be able to disconnect.

PICT0089.JPG

you have to disconnect the white block connectors that plug into the 3rd brake light and wiper motor marked red and white on pic. Then there are 3 or 4 plastic clips(marked yellow) that are holding the wires to the bootlid so they dont move around. Gently remove the plastic clips from the bootlid. after you should be able to get enough play in the wire to pull it from the top (where the gromit is) and expose the connector. then you should be able to disconnect.

Yeah, I took the panel off earlier to have a look but wasn't sure if I pulled them out throught the tailgate I'd be able to feed them back through again as the channel at the side of the tailgate is very narrow. However, in saying that I only need to pull it out a few inches to get access to the connector, I'll try that :thumbs:

Yeah, I took the panel off earlier to have a look but wasn't sure if I pulled them out throught the tailgate I'd be able to feed them back through again as the channel at the side of the tailgate is very narrow. However, in saying that I only need to pull it out a few inches to get access to the connector, I'll try that :thumbs:

no probs dude u shouldnt have to pull it far as u say just a few inches then just leave wire hanging there