The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A to VVTI 2jzgte Swap- Help

Philly_1 Lex

Hello everyone, Im here in Japan and I swapped my N/A 97 Supra 5 spd to a TT VVTI 6 spd Supra. I was impatience and decided to go BPU at the same time. I got everything in and it was seemed to work but I have some problems. Wondering if you guys can help.

Here are all the facts.

2000 Supra VVTI engine with loom & ECU. No traction ecu as I was told since Im six speed there is no need

ARC Aluminum Radiator ( the big one)

ARC FMIC

SARD Breather tank

6 Speed full cluster

Turbodragnovice Twin Intake system ( I dont have the MAF connected as I dont have the part number for the VVTI MAF)

And a bunch of other smaller parts.

First problem is that the car will not rev over 3k rpm?

Does not have exhaust here yet! (Not sure if that is playing a part as its just and open wastegate?)

Second ( Need the VVTI MAF part number so I can go to Toyota and order it... They seem to be stuck on stupid here in Japan since I did the motor swap)

Third there is a hose the comes off the intake manifold close to the Power steering resevoir that connect to power steering pump that is giving me problems! If I hook a hose to it the car dies? Its suppose to go to the power steering pump but even when I hook it there it still dies? Does anyone know why?

Fourth : Defi boost gauge cannot read any boost and I have tried to hook it up in multiple places and still I cant get boost?

I have the Stock BOV venting to the atmosphere as well is this a problem?

Also I have the vaccum sensor hookup and I dont know where it goes or if its even needed.

Also there is a second wire where the MAF would be and I dont know where it goes?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I learn better with pics and if you have any part numbers I can give the dealership it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Could you please attach pics of the wires and pipes you are talking about? It would help a lot.

Your first problem comes out of the fact car is probably in "limp mode", trying to protect engine from blowing up, thats why it does not rev over 3k. Fact, that there is no exhaust is actually explaining why is your car cutting out - it's overboosting without cats or restrictor ring in place, be aware you might blow up your engine trying to rev it.

Lack of MAF will confuse hell out of engine as it is used to set correct air volume going into the engine, it might also explain, why engine do not want to idle properly or cutting out. Stock BOV is usually venting back into the system, not to atmosphere, but I wouldn't say it is a problem.

I think you need to complete the whole conversion before starting the car and trying to diagnose any problems.

I have the Stock BOV venting to the atmosphere as well is this a problem?

You have blocked off where the BOV recirculates into normally?

Could you please attach pics of the wires and pipes you are talking about? It would help a lot.

Your first problem comes out of the fact car is probably in "limp mode", trying to protect engine from blowing up, thats why it does not rev over 3k. Fact, that there is no exhaust is actually explaining why is your car cutting out - it's overboosting without cats or restrictor ring in place, be aware you might blow up your engine trying to rev it.

Lack of MAF will confuse hell out of engine as it is used to set correct air volume going into the engine, it might also explain, why engine do not want to idle properly or cutting out. Stock BOV is usually venting back into the system, not to atmosphere, but I wouldn't say it is a problem.

Thanks didnt think about limp mode. I will have the exhaust in the next day or so and will install.

Do you happen to have the VVTI MAF part number so that I can order it from toyota? I will post pics up in a few.

I think you need to complete the whole conversion before starting the car and trying to diagnose any problems.

You have blocked off where the BOV recirculates into normally?

Sorry I was just trying to ensure I didnt have leaks and such and everything was tighten. Just took it for a quick spin down my street not far from my house.

Stock intake pipe was broken on arrival . It was a supra motor so the stock BOV did recirculate back into the stock piping, but since it was broken I had a spare aristo non-vvti intake hard pipe and on the aristo the setup is a little different in regards to the stock BOV. I will take a pic and show you. Also I have a twin intake setup on it and it deleted some of the stock piping.

Any help is much appreciated as the UK and AUS are more in tuned with the VVTI motors than the US is. Thanks