The mkiv Supra Owners Club

importing my UZA80 to the UK - ideas and help?

Guest ed_jza80

Guest ed_jza80

Hey guys

looks like i will be relocating to this side of the planet for the foreseeable future, and rather than have my car sit at home in syd collecting dust and wasting all the time i put into it, i thought i might drag it over here with me.

now ive been reading all the crap on the DVLA website, and have sent off for an 'import pack' but im hoping some folks might have some insider tips, or know people in the importing industry who might be able to help me out?

id be looking to bring it over as a personal import, and would hope that id be able to drive it on its current (australian) rego for the time it takes to get it IVA/MOT'd. i unnderstand i can drive for up to 12 months on non EU registration as long as the rego is still valid and paid for in the country of origin.

but thing thing is, its hardly stock, the motor is as environmentally unfriendly as they come, and theres heaps of self fabricated parts on it (caliper brackets etc)

now its all to a VERY high engineering standard. nothing dodgy whatsoever. i wouldnt track it if it were. it MAY be possible for me to retune the ecu for E85, and perhaps that will help it pass emissions?

infact, how will they even determine what emissions the thing has to meet? its a 1994 chassis with a 1998-99 engine (landcruiser 2UZ v8). it has no cats at present either. but thats an easy quick-fix.

but anyways, i guess the big question is is there anyone familiar with this stuff, perhaps dealing with IVA'S or inspections/registrations of modified supras etc, that can give me a hand? give me some tips on what to change, or who to ask the 'right questions' to etc? happy to pay for the privs, as having the car here and running is worth way more than it at home and sitting idle!

any help, suggestions, contacts, or info would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

ed

[email protected]

car details here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=221218

I can't see any reason why you couldn't import that and get it registered. JM-Imports should be able to offer advice on how to get it through the checks. Provided it's older than 10 years old I think it skips all the "new" import checks so should just be a case of it passing an MOT, which should never be a problem for a maintained car.

Ive imported many cars in the UK and there are good and bad points when importing :)

Anyway when you import a car you need to pay 10% of the value+shipping Duty and VAT at the current rate which is 17.5%

NOW as far as I know if you can prove to the curomes that you are bringing your own car to use in the UK and have owned it for more than 6 months then you dont need to pay Duty and TAX

How lucky you are bringing a car like that to UK for cost of shipping and registering it :)

Nice car by the way

Hi Ed.

You've owned the car long enough for it to come in as a personal import.

It's over 10 years old so it will only need an MOT (roadworthiness) test.

MOT documentation here --> http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000001.htm

There's a general catch-all about dangerous parts, but it's very unlikely that an MOT tester (who is just a mechanic in a normal garage) will quibble about any of the engineering on your car.

Sometimes noise is an issue, but silencers often lose their baffles shortly after an MOT.

We don't have anything like the ADRs (at the moment), so we have a free hand with mods as long as it passes the MOT and meets the Construction and Use regulations. None of that nonsense like needing an engineer's report if there's more than one mod to the intake.

The emissions test is based on whichever is older, chassis or engine, so it will be the 1994 standard in your case.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000301.htm

This flowchart may mean that it gets a non-cat test

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000309.htm

You will need a rear fog light. You can use the inner rear brake lights.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=80479

Strictly speaking you need the speedo to read in MPH, but that's not part of the MOT test.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Guest ed_jza80

yeah, but thing is i dont think this would get a simple MOT, it would get the 'simple' IVA for a personally imported vehicle (i think) but not sure if being over 10 years old, it doesnt matter? plus its got a whacko engine swap in it... not sure how they would approcah that

looking at that emissions flow chart, they 'will not' find an exact match in their database. but again, not sure how theyll take it really. will send this JM imports mob an email :)

would be great having the car over here. not least to get it onto the nürburgring!

cheers

ed

...thing is I don't think this would get a simple MOT, it would get the 'simple' IVA for a personally imported vehicle (I think) but not sure if being over 10 years old, it doesn't matter? Plus it's got a whacko engine swap in it... not sure how they would approach that...

The engine swap should not be a problem (subject to the "dangerous parts" catch-all). Cars can be referred to VOSA if there are extensive body or chassis mods, like cutting out a bulkhead to fit a V8 in a Mini, but that would not affect your car.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022105

Your vehicle will be subject to the SVA scheme if it is less than 10 years old and requires first licensing and registration in the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_10014623

Visitors to the UK can usually use a vehicle displaying foreign numberplates for six months provided all motoring taxes are paid in the originating country. This can consist of one single or several shorter visits in any 12 month period.

To use a non-EU vehicle in the UK on a temporary basis, the driver of the vehicle needs to contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on entering the UK. The decision lies with HMRC whether a visiting vehicle from outside the EU can be used.

Guest ed_jza80

this is great :)

many many thanks for all the messages/pms etc from various people!

ill get all the required info and reply this eveing with details

gareth, good info, thanks for the links. its a bit of a maze learning how a new system works, and THEN trying to do something unusual within it.

the funny thing in all of this tho, is: the car is currently doesnt have an engineering certificate in australia (although it is still registered), mainly due to all the time the car has spent off the road. plus the expense to get it all certified and engineered is quite hefty & being mainly a track car anyways, i never really worried. BUT if i export the car out of australia, declare that to our RTA and fill in export/deregistration papers, reregister the car in the UK, then have it in the UK for 12 months and re-import it back to aust as a personal import, it becomes ADR exempt and an engineering certifictae is no longer necessary! lol. too easy!

anyways, emails coming shortly

cheers

ed

Guest ed_jza80

emails and PM sent :)

and just as an aside, obviously i dont have my mates workshop to just swing by and get fab work done anymore (sorry linden! lol) so if this whole shipping / regoing thing leads to the start of a good relationship with a fabricator etc, ill be as happy as a pig in the proverbial. kinda sucks having to do this all from the start! feel like a bit of a noob!

cheers guys

ed

Had a pic of your engine bay as my work desktop for ages :). People over here have that engine conversion so shouldn't be a prob I don't think. Insurance might be though. I just had to insure my wife (from the USA) on our 2nd car (mitsi legnum 2.5 v6 twin turbo) and because she has still got a USA licence and not a uk one it cost me £2600!

Guest ed_jza80
Insurance might be though. I just had to insure my wife (from the USA) on our 2nd car (mitsi legnum 2.5 v6 twin turbo) and because she has still got a USA licence and not a uk one it cost me £2600!

holy jesus that a bit steep!?! what kind of insurance? id only be considering the minimum youre required to have for the time being. suggestions where to shop for quotes?

and how hard is it to get a UK license? might look into that one (assuming the license is a factor in premium values?)

cheers

ed

PS - sweet work on the desktop! ;)

holy jesus that a bit steep!?! what kind of insurance? id only be considering the minimum youre required to have for the time being. suggestions where to shop for quotes?

and how hard is it to get a UK license? might look into that one (assuming the license is a factor in premium values?)

cheers

ed

Getting a full UK license is as simple as paying £50 and exchanging your Australian license + new passport-style photo for the UK version.

However, the insurance part might be a bit more trouble for you - just make sure you have a letter of reference (or similar) if possible from your current insurer stating your NCB and insurance history.

Guest ed_jza80

hmmm, not sure i can do that without being a resident. id only be a 'visitor' in the UK, though i have a valid EU (gemany resident) passport/visa.

need to talk to some insurers. unless someone wants the thing in their name, and ill be a nominated driver! ;)