The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snow Question

gt4tosupra

Hi all, sold my SzR 6 months ago and went back to a gt4, the main reason was its uselessness in the winter!:D

Anyway, got a nice gt4 now with 340bhp, but still miss the RWD fun! Having seen that TT Autos can be had for decent money these days i was wondering.......

Would a TT auto with traction control work better in the

snow than the manual SzR without traction control that i

had?

I've always heard that autos are even more useless in the snow but maybe thats wrong?

Cheers

MEH.

I drove my uk spec auto in the snow with crap rubber. It was fine aslong as you dont gun it, it will behave as most cars do in the snow. Depends waht your asking it to do?

I mean a GT4 will have more pull in the snow but then a landrover will have more than that?

It wouldnt move out of a car park space at my old apartment which is near enough flat, and it would barely get up the slightest incline! At one road it only got up by touching the rear tyre on the kerb for a good 20 yards to get a bit of speed up, about 10mph!!!

Just get some narrow wheels and seasonal tyres for winter usage and it will be fine. It's not because it's a Supra, it's because it's RWD, with very wide tyres and loads of low end torque.

Agree with this - tyres are the number one thing. People drive Supras here in Finland and Sweden in winter, but not with summer tyres...! Trouble is that no-one in UK would keep a set of winter tyres sitting around on the offchance of having a cold snap, don't know if you can even buy them at all over there.

Fitting PROPER winter tyres will help more than you could ever imagine.

In Germany you get a fine if you have to abandon your car, and it's doubled if you block other road users. For this reason pretty much everyone has a spare set of steel wheels with winter tyres on them.

Imagine what would have happened last winter if we had that sort of law. Exactly: nothing. ;)

Agree with this - tyres are the number one thing. People drive Supras here in Finland and Sweden in winter, but not with summer tyres...! Trouble is that no-one in UK would keep a set of winter tyres sitting around on the offchance of having a cold snap, don't know if you can even buy them at all over there.

You can, but they amount to around 0.5% of total UK tyre sales. For some reason UK drivers think they're exempt, until they get stuck :D

So the question is, should i go auto tt instead of my 340bhp gt4? My gt4 does get 24mpg tho round town which is pretty awesome i think! Just love the supra more tho!

So what about the likes of Racelogic TC then? Is it any good or are winter tyres the way forward, or upwards as the problem is :D:d

My auto TT was absolutely useless in last winter's snow. If I had a manual, I think I'd have been alright. Even in a high gear in MANU mode the wheels just spin, and using the brake to slow the wheels doesn't really do anything.

Stick with the 340bhp GT4, if I was you. Is it really 340bhp? ;)

My auto TT was absolutely useless in last winter's snow. If I had a manual, I think I'd have been alright. Even in a high gear in MANU mode the wheels just spin, and using the brake to slow the wheels doesn't really do anything.

Stick with the 340bhp GT4, if I was you. Is it really 340bhp? ;)

Yes, well 337 close enough! Blitz access ecu, fmic, apexi boost controller, awesome car put together by last owner!:D