The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guess the clicking noise in the engine bay!!

osso

When i was up at Sextons last week, Mark who was working on my car said my engine was ticking in idle, which is something i've not really noticed myself, and so it was. a faint tick tick tick tick, it was a consistant ticking noise every 1/2 a second, well under a second a tick anyways.. and it seems to be coming from the Intake side of the engine..

I've not checked under the bonnet recently for a closer inspection, but im wondering if it could be the FSE or injectors thats making the noise? the noise definitely wasnt there before the FSE was installed.. but then it could even be the carbon canister :conf:

At 600RPM tickover each injector is firing 5 times per second so it doesn't sound like that.

I think mine used to tick slightly and thought it was injectors, but had replacment injectors fitted (during rebuild) and it still did it. Never knew it to be a problem.

Was the noise a clinky rattle that could be coming from the front, round the timing belt?

CVH engines with hydraulic lifters do this. especially noticeable when cold!! Looking at the inside of the head on the TT I just stripped I would say it had hydraulic lifters. I stand to be corrected however. Worn lifters can cause that rattly sound at idle you are talking about. A lack of oil changes can contribute to early hydraulic lifter wear. Many short runs without the oil getting up to temperature can also contribute to this condition. The lifters can be serviced but if I recall rightly it wasn't cheap even on my 1.8 sierra 4 cylinder cvh engine.

A couple of close succesive oil changes combined with a slick 50 additive may take that noise down. (slick 50 on TT's is a debateable benefit due to oil way blocking). Try changing the oil then a cpl of hundred miles changing it again. See if that helps.

:cry: oh gawd, just checked the engine bay, and the frequency of the ticks increases as the revs go up :(

Was hard to tell as its still bloody windy over here! the tick is definitely there tho.

Dude, if u see this, could i pop over tomo so u can have a listen?

Originally posted by osso

:cry: oh gawd, just checked the engine bay, and the frequency of the ticks increases as the revs go up :(

Was hard to tell as its still bloody windy over here! the tick is definitely there tho.

Dude, if u see this, could i pop over tomo so u can have a listen?

Yes James just come over , i hope its not a Bomb !!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by osso

Don't they all do this to a varying degree? my old uk car had a pronounced ticking that i was lead to believe (from here and the eventual buyers mechanic mate) was noisy injectors?

Noisy injectors??? I still go with the most likely worn hyd tappets. Seriously give it a damn good oil drain and flush through and see if that helps. Lets put it this way it certainly wont hurt. Take that from a man that has spent the last 4 years working in aviation engine and transmission early failure detection!! An oil flush will considerably help any oil lubricated system.;)

I managed to pop over to dude's over the weekend and he seems pretty sure that the noise is actually coming from one of the shims.. I've found out that the Bucket and shims are servicable items that need servicing every 72 months (6 years)

Maintainance Schedule A

Maintainance Schedule B

Valve Clearance Inspection and Adjustment Guide

Valve Clearance Discussion on Supraforums

Guest slow dog

hello i am new to this site i am a mate of ashley and clair

i am a mechanic and the best way to pin point a noise with the engine running is to get a big screw driver placee the end of the handle to your ear and the tip onto what you think is making a noise sounds stupid i know but have done this many times

it does work every time without fail

Originally posted by slow dog

sounds stupid i know but have done this many times

it does work every time without fail [/b]

Unless the noise is the timing belt in which case this method can be painfull !!!!:stupid:

Dude:flame Dev

• 2 weeks later...

wierd, i came home from work today, radio off, parked up and turned the turbo timer on and got out the car.. and i heard the "Tick tick tick tick tick" noise, i thought this was funny because i've not really noticed the ticking outside the car, only with the bonnet up!

strangely enough it sounds louder outside the car than in the engine bay area!! :conf: I know sound travels so i am wondering could it be possible that the noise is coming from the flywheel instead and travelling up to the engine bay?

Tomorrow im gonna get a mate to sit in the car and engage the clutch and see if the ticking goes away.. worth giving it a try i suppose

• 4 years later...