The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chris Wilson pads...

colmcork

Hi guys I know this subject has been discussed to death but I cant seem to find an answer to MY question:d. I am currently refurbing the j-spec brakes on my TT. Goodridge braided lines all round, fully flushed and using Toyota dot 5.1 fluid, Toyota refurb kit, have had all the discs machined ( even though there wasn't any signs of wear ) and must now sort out the pads. I have been in touch with Mr. Wilson and everything is hunky dory but my question, eventually, is this: As i will never be taking the soop anywhere near a track, and as it stands it is still limited to 112mph, am i really going to reap the benefit of Chris's very highly recommended fast road pads? Would i be just as well off using Genuine Toyota pads for all i will be asking of them? Sorry for long post:). And of course if you're reading this Chris I'd be delighted to hear your opinion:)

In a word, yes.

If you enjoy driving your car and aren't afraid to flirt with the speed limits then fast road pads are a good idea. For starters the Supra is a heavy lump which means the brakes, especially the smaller set-up, are worked fairly hard at the best of times.

It's not about braking from 200mph to a standstill. It's the ability of the pads to maintain their effectiveness over a period of time when using the brakes a bit harder than you would if you were just pottering down to the shops.

I completely disagree.

I have and have had the CW pads for my car for well over a year now. They work fine and the main thing is to avoid pad fading.

If you use your car like a normal road car and rarely go faster that the speed limits, the OEM pads will be fine. They will stop you from high speeds as well (I've been to the nürburgring with them several times and my brake fluid boiled before they did), but can be the weakest point if you trackday your car an have really good brake fluid but thats it. If you drive nice and easy and just do a pull once in a while, I would stick with the OEM pads.

The reason for this is that the CW pads generate quite a lot more dust than the OEM pads which is a bit annoying if you don't reap the benefits from them.