The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is turbo "flutter" bad?

adam1983

Was watching this video on youtube earlier today and was reading some of the comments left. Got me thinking is turbo flutter bad for your turbo? Im assuming the car in the video has no bov?

Reason i ask is that i am planning on going single turbo next year and just wondering if fitting a bov is essential.

8g89Utv1BXc

Cheers guys :)

It's not going to kill the turbo straight away, but it can cause other problems on high boost applications. I've heard of intercoolers having holes blown in them because of the pressure in the turbo system.

The Supra in the video probably does have a BOV, but because the 2JZ engine flows so much air there are very few BOVs that can cope without a little bit of compressor stall.

Mine does it and I'm not too bothered.

I thought the noise you can hear in the vid was a BOV!!

If its not that then what is it??

Just for my own record a BOV is also called a dump valve, isn't it?

It's compressor stall, and yes, a BOV is sometimes known as a 'dump valve' :)

Compressor stall is caused when the pressurised air in the turbo system tries to move back through the turbine vanes while they're still spinning when you come off the throttle. The vanes chop through the air, and that's the noise you can hear.

It's compressor stall, and yes, a BOV is sometimes known as a 'dump valve' :)

Compressor stall is caused when the pressurised air in the turbo system tries to move back through the turbine vanes while they're still spinning when you come off the throttle. The vanes chop through the air, and that's the noise you can hear.

Well I never stop learning around ye lot!

I always thought that noise was from a particular design of dump valve.

I have a terrible feeling I'm going to break my TT engine very quickly due to my total ignorance.:D

Are certain bov better at dealing with this than others then?

If so which one is the best? :)

There are blow off valves for higher hp applications designed to flow more and hold higher boost pressures, such as the HKS SSQV Racing, but even these cannot vent the air quick enough to prevent flutter when you lift off.

There are blow off valves for higher hp applications designed to flow more and hold higher boost pressures, such as the HKS SSQV Racing, but even these cannot vent the air quick enough to prevent flutter when you lift off.

Cheers for that. I guess its just something that you have to deal with then.

I get it a little bit myself with my current setup on BPU so would probably get bit a lot more on a single i guess.

Im running a Blitz bov at the moment IIRC.

I actually like the sound :)

Yeah its not too bad ;)

Just wanted to find out if it is actually damaging to the turbos or not. From what i have just found out fitting a bov is better for the turbo than without one but doesnt get rid of the issue totally.

I think thats right :p

internet myth. its not going to damage your turbos dont worry

But if the air is being 'chopped-up' by the blades, then that means that the air is travelling the wrong way, right? So isn't that putting pressure on the blades? and not only pressure, but pressure the wrong way? So putting a load on them when they're spinning so fast will cause damge somewhere?

But if the air is being 'chopped-up' by the blades, then that means that the air is travelling the wrong way, right? So isn't that putting pressure on the blades? and not only pressure, but pressure the wrong way? So putting a load on them when they're spinning so fast will cause damge somewhere?

Internet myth becomes internet argument. :Pling:

Ive never been a fan of BOV's. Yes they do sound good sometimes but other times it bring to much attention to the car.

To be honest i dont think there is any valve that can react quickly enough to relieve the system before compressor stall occurs anyway.