The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'bending' fibreglass?

marcAB10

I have a front lip made of fibreglass sitting at my folks, i never fitted it due to the fact that it has a good shape curving round one side of the bumper but the other side is a not as curved. it is a very sturdy lip, so simply bending it alone i doubt would work.

I've read that if you heat it up with a hairdryer/heatgun/boiling water that it becomes plyable enough to reshape it a little. So obvously enough to bolt it in place then it will harded to the right shape...

this sounds like it really wouldn't work to me.. fg just doesn't seem like a material that would work with.

how would a proffesional bodyshop deal with trying to get it to fit.. or is it a bin it job?

i'm clueless about fg.. as you can probably tell so any help/advise much appreciated. :thumbs:

-marc-

Ive managed to do this with a splitter, it was slighty twisted (not a supra splitter, they have all been fine)

But I fitted it, with it being out/wonky then held it in shape using clamps etc(under tension) heated it up and let it cool down, did it for two days popping into the garage every now and then and heating it up, letting it cool. - It then held the shape I wanted it to.

Might warp, if you clamp it, the clamps might press in, just give it a splice, realign it and get some fibreglass on the rear, easy stuff, like paper mache' (spelling?)

Id ignore this and just fit it. Place it under tension at the point you would like it, then just heat it up and cool it down.

Id ignore this and just fit it. Place it under tension at the point you would like it, then just heat it up and cool it down.

Have you ever seen fibreglass under heat, that stuff goes well weird, specially the gel coat which bubbles up...i burnt a bumper in a fire ages ago lol