The mkiv Supra Owners Club

W58 to R154 conversion, what do I need bar the gearbox?

RobD

As above really, been looking but havent really got a complete list/guide on what's needed.

I've just bought a TT engine from Jurgen and I've managed to pick up a R154 box now, I know it needs a 2jz bellhousing but does this mean I can use either a w58 or v16* or do I have to use a w58? If I can use a V16* does this mean I can use a 6-speed clutch also?

Also I found something about using a different gearstick? Which one will I need?

Will I need a different prop and diff etc as I've got a 5-speed slipper so would ideally like to use that!

Thanks in advance

Rob

You need

1) a 1JZ-GTE to R154 bellhousing

2) a 1JZ-GTE flywheel and bolts

3) a 1JZ-GTE (or 7M-GTE) clutch

4) some method of moving the gearlever towards the rear of the car

5) a propshaft which mates to the R154 at one end and your diff at the other, and which is the correct length

6) probably other odds and sods

The options for #4 are Driftmotion, Thor, Toyota (if the parts are still available, and if it works for a Supra), or DIY (or get someone who can fabricate and weld to do it for you).

For #5, if you can't mix and match Toyota parts there are plenty of companies who will make/modify a propshaft for not too much money.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Thanks for the help so far, so it looks like not to much of a hassle ATM, it's just the prop and shift extension that's the biggest problem!

I'll have a look into getting the parts listed above, regards to the shift extension what are my options?

The R154 cost me 300-400 pound, with everything to fit this it won't top a grand! The v16* box will cost more than that alone :)

One problem with shifter extentions is they tend to fill up with gearbox oil whilst accelerating hard which makes shifting extremely difficult.

Dont forgot you need the slave cylinder aswel. Expect to pay around £300-£400 to convert it.

Becareful though dude, they do have a weakness, the first gear thrust washer can go wrong if the box has been abused or misused or used with a high-clamping clutch (on and off switch)!