The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance exhaust

mobsta_01

Hello all,

i've been looking at llots of aftermarket exhausts and am not sure which one i should get. I know some are louder than others, but are there any which are better for power/performance than others?

Also i was wondering is it necessary to get an aftermarket exhaust if i wish to go bpu or can i fit decat pipes to my stock exhaust?

Hello all,

i've been looking at llots of aftermarket exhausts and am not sure which one i should get. I know some are louder than others, but are there any which are better for power/performance than others?

Also i was wondering is it necessary to get an aftermarket exhaust if i wish to go bpu or can i fit decat pipes to my stock exhaust?

I have this exhaust system

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/gblue.asp?id=9

well built and not very restrictive my bost went from 0.70 bar to just over 0.80 bar. At idle its not very loud but has nice sound when u open the throtle. you can get it as turbo back system but unfortunetly the decat pipe that see off the first and secound cat is desinged for the UK spec supra. but im sure u can just by this system as a cat back. i got mine from tokyo-express.com or could be .co.uk. i think the pipe work is 3.5 inches

with i think again a 5 inche tail pipe:cool:

I have this exhaust system

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/gblue.asp?id=9

well built and not very restrictive my bost went from 0.70 bar to just over 0.80 bar. At idle its not very loud but has nice sound when u open the throtle.

I was hoping to find an exhaust which isn't really loud on idle, so i suppose this might be the one for me. :D

If you after maximium power levels you will need a full system dude to gain maximum flow , don't fit decats to the stock system . Go for a blitz or hks and you won't go wrong

The blitz Nur Spec R is a little too loud for my tastes. Do HKS do a quieter one? :confused:

And apart from the noise levels, is there much difference in performance? Or do louder exhausts ted to be better in the performance department?

Another vote for Tanabe - but I have the Medallion Touring version. I was very surprised by how quiet it is with 2 x 3" decats. Even though it's pretty quiet, it does have a nice deep note to it... also they're very well made and there shouldn't ever be a noise level problem with it for track days or MOTs.

I was hoping to find an exhaust which isn't really loud on idle, so i suppose this might be the one for me. :D

The blitz Nur Spec R is a little too loud for my tastes. Do HKS do a quieter one? :confused:

And apart from the noise levels, is there much difference in performance? Or do louder exhausts ted to be better in the performance department?

I have the hks silent hi power and think it's not too loud on tickover and sounds very nice when giving it the beans! IMO

I've had a few people comment about how quiet my car is. A couple of days go, a bloke asked me if my car was electric!

Mate, you are in West Yorkshire, go and see Blueflame in Skemsldale and they will build you a system exactly to your requirements, they will let you hear it as they go along so you can have your say on how it sounds under certain conditions. Will cost about a monkey but have a lifetime warranty while its on the car.

Another vote for Tanabe - but I have the Medallion Touring version. I was very surprised by how quiet it is with 2 x 3" decats. Even though it's pretty quiet, it does have a nice deep note to it... also they're very well made and there shouldn't ever be a noise level problem with it for track days or MOTs.

My car is failing track day noise regulations with a double decat and a hks silent hi power. It needs to be below 100 db.

Do you have any db measurements for the tanabe? I am either going to have to put a cat back on or switch exhausts.

My car is failing track day noise regulations with a double decat and a hks silent hi power. It needs to be below 100 db.

Despite the name the HKS Silent Hi Power is not that silent, it is rated at 99Db. The only difference between the Silent Hi-Power and the Hi-Power is that the Silent Hi-Power is 100% Stainless Steel, they bother have the same Db rating.

Stock Exhaust - 87Db

Blitz NUR Touring - 88Db

Blitz NUR RX - 91Db

Tanabe Touring - 92Db

Note those are manufacturers figures and will probably be measured with both cats fitted.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I find the Blitz with a 1bar restrictor seems to limit the boost to 0.85bar. A boost controller could easily get it to 1.2bar but I dont want to fit one of those yet.

I hope to fit a whifbitz exhaust, remove the restrictor and hit 1.2bar.

The Nur Spec RX is a great exhaust, very quiet on idle, but noisy enough when you floor it to make you know the car is going somewhere. I just find the 0.85bar a bit low.

I find the Blitz with a 1bar restrictor seems to limit the boost to 0.85bar. A boost controller could easily get it to 1.2bar but I dont want to fit one of those yet.

The Nur Spec RX is a great exhaust, very quiet on idle, but noisy enough when you floor it to make you know the car is going somewhere. I just find the 0.85bar a bit low.

Good exhaust choice. Running it myself at 1.2 bar happily and I actually think it was quieter than my HKS hi-power in my na with both cats in!

The blitz I must admit does look damn nice, was going to be what I bought for the na until a hks came up at a bargain price

ah, I already have a boost control running at 1.2 so the nur spec should be fine for me as long as its quieter. How much do you want for it or do you want to swap it for an hks silent hi power?

Do you have any db measurements for the tanabe? I am either going to have to put a cat back on or switch exhausts.

The medalion touring exhaust by tanabe is rated at 93db the concept blue G is 103db if decated but comes with a removable baffle to make it more quite but dosent say how much more quite it makes it.

ive never fitted it either so cant realy coment on it

If you - or someone else - can tell me exactly how to measure the dB level, i.e., distance and angle from exhaust tip, engine rpm and the weighting setting of the sound level meter; then I can certainly get you an accurate dB reading of a double decat with the Tanabe Medallion Touring.