The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing spare wheel - legality?

lightwave

Just wondering about removing the spare wheel for an ICE install or whatever reason... how legal is this?

I may have just made this up, but I thought that if you carry a spare wheel that it has to be fit for purpose. If it ISN'T fit for purpose (damaged, or flat tyre etc) then it was illegal. But I thought if you don't carry one at all then that's ok.

How much crap have I just made up? Is it just plain illegal to not have a spare wheel? If so - what do you guys do come MOT time? Chuck it on the back seat? I think it has to be securely fastened too, doesn't it?

:conf:

Originally posted by mcanny

Fully legal to remove it - if it's there it has to be legal tread etc, if it's not there the only person bothered is you when you get a flat :)

I'm pretty sure that (if it's there) it has to be legal to pass an MoT test but that it's not actually illegal to have a bald spare, as long as you don't use it on the highway.

I was told by my MOT centre that if you have a spare it has to be legal because you have the intent to use it. I replaced mine with a can of tyre weld when I had the brakes fitted, not much point having a spare you can use...

Don't worry y'all - I've answered my own question:

Spare Wheel

Motorists assume that the spare wheel is part of the MOT when it isn’t.

VOSA cover this by their statement in the Manual which says “Note: The condition of the spare wheel is not included in the inspection. However, if a defect is seen, inform the vehicle presenter.”

Originally posted by Supragal

even some standard cars now come withouth spares. can't remember which now, it was a yaris/fiesta kinda thing i'm sure. so yeah, if it's there it's gotta be legal, but you don't have to have one.

The Lotus Elise has no spare wheel. They used to have a can of tyre weld on some clips under the bonnet.

Last year I had a golf and I remove the spare wheels to save some weight. The week after that I had a tyre puncher and I have to call the AA because I had no spare in the boot. They do not repair tyres on site and once they got to me after waiting for 2 hours they told me that having no spare wheels void the policy of breakdown cover!!!

At the end I pay the full cost of towing my car back to my house and I changed the wheels myself on my driveway.

China