The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone any good with paint?

jonc

:rolleyes: I have a constant battle with my neighbours over their Oak tree which hangs over my drive. Yesterday a bloody bird has pooed a berry rich substance all over my spoiler (I mean all over!!!!!) and it has really marked the paint badly:wtf:.

I have tried cutting back with G4 but everytime I seem to get to the point it looks ok I can see the sh**e markings come back. Has anybody else had this problem and what did you do to get rid of the markings (or is it a repray job?).

I think I may join the group buy for the storm cover to protect the car from further Bird attacks:)

Cheers in advance

Can't help with the paint issue but while waiting for an answer why not take a saw to the branches hanging over your side of the fence? Takes a bit of work, depending on the size of the tree, but would help solve your problems

Yep already done that as far as I can. There is just one branch which a bloody heard of birds must have found as a nice perch for a c**p. I bet they were laughing all the way to the next tree with the state they left my car in:(

Yep already done that as far as I can. There is just one branch which a bloody heard of birds must have found as a nice perch for a c**p. I bet they were laughing all the way to the next tree with the state they left my car in:(

Clearly..... you missed a bit ;)

Your title should be "Anyone good with a chain saw?" :D

Can you show pictures of the damage, if you get the poo off quick enough (i.e within a couple of hours, before it dries) then it shouldn't do too much damage, though if the poo has dried then the damage is most likely done.

Have you explain to your neighbours regarding the paint and showed them examples?

Had the same thing happen with birds. Just give it a wash, tar & bug remover & a bit of a wax & polish then wash her every week for a few weeks. Thats what i done & it faded away within a few weeks.

Ps Use some snow foam from Peter Richards, i always use it & find it great.

Your title should be "Anyone good with a chain saw?"

Can you show pictures of the damage, if you get the poo off quick enough (i.e within a couple of hours, before it dries) then it shouldn't do too much damage, though if the poo has dried then the damage is most likely done.

Have you explain to your neighbours regarding the paint and showed them examples?

Fair one with the title I think the chainsaw might be back out!!!:D

Hmm I was too late with getting it off. It probably happened yesterday morning and I did not notice until last night. Washed the crap off as soon as I saw it but it had dried in and was awful to get off. I have not shown the neighbours yet as they are on holiday but she has only just paid for my front bumper to be repaired as she drove into it a couple of months ago:rolleyes: I will see if I can get a photo tomorrow but I think my worse fears have been confirmed:blink:

And if the sentry gun doesnt work.. found this over at DW.

Though same as what has been mentioned here, polish it out if possible but the etching may have gone too deep if its been left a while.

Quote from DW:

Bird excrement comprises; Ammonia and urine as white crystals of uric acid (pH 3.0 - 4.5) a small organic compound, which is produced by the breakdown of protein during digestion, and is excreted by reptiles and birds. Uric acid is also the end product of nitrogen catabolism in birds Ammonia is a mixture of nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas; with moisture as a catalyst it becomes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is caustic.

Heat and water act as a catalyst; a vehicle paint surface temperature of >90.oF creates a very aggressive reactivity of the Alkaline, Uric Acid and Ammonia. This will cause surface etching, so they should be removed without delay, at lower temperatures (> 40.oF or less) there’s no reactivity and therefore little or no etching.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement, as they are all incompatible with strong acids. The latest nanotechnology coating or CeramiClear although they are highly resistant to chemicals, detergents, scratches and ultra violet radiation (UV) will only offer limited resistance to acid etching. A product like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable inorganic wax product, and but this will only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much (etching) damage to the paint film surface.

Its especially nasty on black paint. Seems the only suggestions are polish / wetsand - short of getting the part sprayed. Jetseals worth investing in and using though!

:rolleyes: I have a constant battle with my neighbours over their Oak tree which hangs over my drive. Yesterday a bloody bird has pooed a berry rich substance all over my spoiler (I mean all over!!!!!) and it has really marked the paint badly:wtf:.

I have tried cutting back with G4 but everytime I seem to get to the point it looks ok I can see the sh**e markings come back. Has anybody else had this problem and what did you do to get rid of the markings (or is it a repray job?).

I think I may join the group buy for the storm cover to protect the car from further Bird attacks:)

Cheers in advance

Is it laquered? if so I'll Pm you a little trick.;) Oh I'll need a pic too.

Cheers guys a lot of the comments have cheered me up no end, particularly the gun quotes which have been fantastic :rlol:I knew the sympathy would be high on here:D. Tell you what I'll invite you all to the SouthWest for a small tree felling beer & BBQ party with Supra's parked all around to wake up the sleepy hollow where I live:cool:

Is it laquered? if so I'll Pm you a little trick. Oh I'll need a pic too.

Supraloopy yep it is laquered but as I finished work late tonight I will get a picture in the morning and PM you.