The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still no replacement for the Thor SLD?

dani_r

As above really! The Thor Racing unit appears to be the best one around, except it's not actually around anymore :(

Does anyone know if they will be making another load? If not, which is the best one still available?

I have the KMH-MPH converter in there, but it'll be one of the cheap ones that's used when the car is imported, so perhaps an all-in-one unit might be appropriate!

Any help appreciated as always :)

Dan

Hmmmm, wonder if Nod would pick up something like this 'hint-hint' ;)

Lol! That would really stick in Pete's Craw :D

Speed limiter / converter. Piece of piss. I thought they were 10 a penny though?

I'm making a unit that converts ABS pulse to speed for a customer with an MR2 who fitted a diff with no drive for his speed sender. Remove the VR stage and it should be the same thing.

Speed limiter / converter. Piece of piss. I thought they were 10 a penny though?

That may be so but the Thor unit wasn't a run of the mill converter. It had a scaled output for the correct functioning of the speedo and odometer and a clamped output for proper functionng of the ECU/TCU, PAS and front spoiler. IIRC it was also adjustable in 10% steps to account for non standard wheel sizes.

Shame it (or anything like it) is not made any more :(

I contacted Thor about a kph/mph converter a couple of weeks ago and this is what I got back :)

Thanks for your enq, another batch is certainly on the cards but currently we are moving to a bigger better premises.

Until we are settled at the new premises (mid-Sept) we won’t have them time to make a new batch.

I’m sorry I can’t offer any alternatives at this moment in time, I have added you to the waiting list and I’ll be email you when the new batch is ready,

Kind regards,

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt this will happen any time soon. Pete has to have at least 100 made to make it economical and that's a few grand of investment. As he (despite the blurb on Thor's web site might have you believe) down sized from 3 big units at Runway farm, made his engine builder redundant and moved to much cheaper premises would make me think he's feeling the pinch like everyone else in this industry.

On the subject of SLD, The last one I had an entanglement with was a very badly fitted HKS one (Sellotape and twisting of wires :rolleyes:). This was on an non VVTi auto and it had hooks into the Traction control and the auto solenoids. This makes me think there is more to a speed delimiter than the more crude ones observe.