The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Curiouser and curiouser...

Ace

I've recently spied a couple of Supras in the classifieds; I'd like to draft opinion on whether they look worthwhile from their adverts and listed prices:-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201024361029063/sort/priceasc/usedcars/colour/white/model/supra/make/toyota/radius/1501/keywords/turbo/postcode/da83bu/page/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201028363326220/sort/priceasc/usedcars/colour/white/model/supra/make/toyota/radius/1501/keywords/turbo/postcode/da83bu/page/1?logcode=p

I'm concerned that a pair of TT6s (both '96 on) are a bit too good to be true at under £9000 each, especially the Veilside one which claims 450bhp and only 45000 miles on the odo, as well as quite a few add-ons.

Discuss.

I'd have said they were over priced personally. I'd pay £6.5k-7k max for a tt6. Unless it came from a very reputable seller or owners club member.

Really? No wonder why the price of Supra's are going down.

I'd say they are both reasonabl priced for what they are.

Would it be a fair argument to say that I am expecting prices of 10k upwards based on a face-to-face discussion with Jurgen @ JM?

I visited him a few weeks ago to discuss purchasing a Supra, and he said a reasonable price for a good '96-on TT6 would be from 10000 to 12500 quid.

That price bracket is the budget I now have, but I'd much rather pay more and have the peace of mind that I won't be paying over the odds to bring a shed up to speed later on.

Update: have used Google Street View to look at the locations of the two trader sellers given by their respective websites, and both are residential addresses in High Wycombe. I was hoping to see shop hoardings and mini-showrooms or forecourts.

Not so convinced now, ergo not so keen to contact them...

Would it be a fair argument to say that I am expecting prices of 10k upwards based on a face-to-face discussion with Jurgen @ JM?

Yes. Private sellers (or people pretending to be traders! :D ) will be much cheaper than Jurgen, but as you say, you pay for peace of mind and you KNOW it's a quality car.

especially the Veilside one which claims 450bhp

Based on the description it won't be making 450hp, to get close to that figure it would need hybrid turbos, cams and uprated fuel system. It's also running an old HKS FCON which you'd find very difficult/impossible to find anyone to check/map.

Neither car inspires me with confidence looking at the pics.

hi mate, am still looking for a car for you but have not seen anything in japan,.

with the exchange rate am afraid decent low miles supra and facelfit plus are 10-12k.

tbh even the ones for sale ie already in uk with low milege + facelifts 6sp will still be from 9k plus.

That's fine, Jurgen - I was just looking around to see if anything might pop up in the UK market; I mention both of the above Supras simply because we discussed a price bracket of 10-12k from a decent facelift TT6. That is therefore what I am expecting to pay, and am now a little wary of anything that fits my criteria AND is some way under budget.

As mentioned above, I'd prefer to wait for the right one to come along and have the peace of mind of collecting a good quality car.

That's fine, Jurgen - I was just looking around to see if anything might pop up in the UK market; I mention both of the above Supras simply because we discussed a price bracket of 10-12k from a decent facelift TT6. That is therefore what I am expecting to pay, and am now a little wary of anything that fits my criteria AND is some way under budget.

As mentioned above, I'd prefer to wait for the right one to come along and have the peace of mind of collecting a good quality car.

no worries, you need to keep your options open, you never know you might find one under 50,000 miles facelift in UK but i think most likely will be 9k plus..

Neither car inspires me with confidence looking at the pics.

I thought the stock-ish looking one wasn't too bad, if I'm honest. But I admit to being no expert at this kind of thing.

I suppose it is a case of "Jurgen, over to you"...

I thought the stock-ish looking one wasn't too bad, if I'm honest. But I admit to being no expert at this kind of thing.

That one looks the better of the two, it may be a good car but it would need a good look over to determine, I'd also want to see the receipts for the £1000's they claim that has been spent on it.

Yes. Private sellers (or people pretending to be traders! :D ) will be much cheaper than Jurgen, but as you say, you pay for peace of mind and you KNOW it's a quality car.

I've never heard of private sellers pretending to be traders, traders pretending to be private yes !!!!!:blink:

I've never heard of private sellers pretending to be traders, traders pretending to be private yes !!!!!:blink:

Did you read the post above mine (#8)? Trade sellers in a residential location, sounds like some bloke in his house signed up as a trader to sell for a higher price.

Did you read the post above mine (#8)? Trade sellers in a residential location, sounds like some bloke in his house signed up as a trader to sell for a higher price.

Which in turn makes me wonder. BOTH "traders" show up as regular residential addresses in High Wycombe when you use Google Street View on the postcodes in their "contact us" links.

I've sent both traders an email asking them for more information on the cars: engine bay shots, close up interior shots, details on service history, etc; no response so far.

Is there some kind of racket going on in High Wycombe?

I have a mate who sells cars from home, he is about 40 and never done anything else except sell cars, if we popped round his 'private' house now there would prob be a couple of Bentley coupe turbos numerous range Rovers a few 6 series BMW's etc all top notch cars, does that mean he is not a 'real' trader???

For your information the smaller traders who trade from home do not get 'more' for their cars, how can they when the classifieds are full of similar cars and they do not offer a better service, in fact they are at a distinct dissadvantage as a car sould by a 'trader' will have a lot more comeback than a genuine private sale, hence the favorite phrase on receipts, "Private sale, No Warranty"

When I used to 'trade' from home I always made sure I put 'trade' in my add for very good reason, but as always you get the odd punter who does not read and has the 'buying' script from all his expert mates call you, sooner or later you will get the 'and why are you selling it mate' question, when you reply , 'because its what I do for a living' straight away they are 'sorry mate I thought you were private' !!!!! I would say I still got more than 50% down to look at the car when i explained that a lot of private sales occur because the 'fantastic' car they are selling has started to have problems whereas I bought this one to sell on and had checked it over and replaced any thing that needed it, I also found that by being honest and telling people it was not perfect they trusted you a lot more.

Neither of these cars are expensive IMO and as we say in the trade, buy it with your eyes, check it out don't worry about mileage, I have seen many 40,000 mile cars look as if they have done 140,000 and vice versa, buy the car in front of you, as it drives and sounds, do not convince your self it is the car for you if your brain says otherwise, the moment you close the door on the test drive as you pull away from the curb you should know idf you are going to buy the car as long as everything checks out.

Neither of these cars are expensive IMO and as we say in the trade, buy it with your eyes, check it out don't worry about mileage, I have seen many 40,000 mile cars look as if they have done 140,000 and vice versa, buy the car in front of you, as it drives and sounds, do not convince your self it is the car for you if your brain says otherwise, the moment you close the door on the test drive as you pull away from the curb you should know idf you are going to buy the car as long as everything checks out.

Food for thought there. Maybe it wouldn't hurt just to check the car in person; after all, I had driven the 600 mile round trip to Newcastle to visit Jurgen, and that was only for peace of mind that I would be dealing with a reputable, trustworthy company if I were to use them.

Food for thought there. Maybe it wouldn't hurt just to check the car in person; after all, I had driven the 600 mile round trip to Newcastle to visit Jurgen, and that was only for peace of mind that I would be dealing with a reputable, trustworthy company if I were to use them.

That is the flip side, Jurgens reputation speaks for itself and it is worth paying extra for the peace of mind that dealing with him brings, I am quite happy to buy unseen from Jurgen, that must say a lot.