The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sheet Aluminium?

SimonB

I'm going to make a custom front undertray, as the stock one won't fit any more due to my bumper and FMIC. I was planning on using sheet aluminium as it's nice and light, won't rust and should be man enough for the job.

Anyone know where I can get a big enough sheet of aluminium from? B&Q do thin stuff, but not in a big enough sheet I think. It obviously has to be the same width as the car.

Pooh, I used to work for a big Ali supplier and could have got you some for sod all, bastards 'Corus' shut the site though.

Thinner ali will be alright if you form ridges in it to give it some strength, otherwise it'll rattle around like a good 'un.

What about the yellow pages, some of your more 'upmarket' scrap dealers will be able to supply sheets and cut it for you.

You could try a trade metal suppliers but they usually have a miniumum order value, ask if they have offcuts though and say it's cash and they may sort you something.

Paul

Cheers guys, I'll have a look for a local metal dealer. What thickness do you reckon I should go for? It's going to be bolted to the mid undertray at the back and the bumper lip at the front and it needs to be thin enough so I can cut it with some shears without too much effort! Do you think 0.5mm will be thick enough, or 1mm?

Often find people selling sheet ali cheap HERE

Or look under "None Ferrous Metal Suppliers" in Yellow Pages.

You need something soft to work it easily, I only keep hard aircraft grade stuff that's structural and expensive, so I haven't anything really suitable. To do a neat and professional job will be tricky with home workshop stuff.

Guest Terry S

I made one for the Purple car which worked great. Leon has just done one on the Orange car. Maybe give him a bell as the guy how made his did a lovely job. Mine was a labour of love.....

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Mohd at http://www.mohdparts.com already does these. Writeup on his site. Fast delivery, easy to fit, good price. :)

Yes he does, but only for the stock bumper and HKS S type FMIC. I have a Blitz and a Whifbitz front bumper. It doesn't look too hard a job actually, because the bottom of the bumper has a lip which the plate will sit on, and this is at very nearly the same height as the rear attachment point, which will be the front of the engine undertray where the stock front undertray attaches. So it won't need much if any bending. It's only going to be replacing the front undertray, not the one under the engine itself.

I'm making a cardboard template at the moment - I'll post up some pics when I get something together.

It says on his website:

Overview: if you own a Type-S HKS FMIC then this bottom FMIC panel will play an important role in the cooling system by helping incoming airflow to pass directly from the Bumper, FMIC to the Radiator without leaking through the lower big gap between the Bumper & FMIC due to the removal of the factory plastic under cover, this improves the cooling system efficiency!

I'll see what I can do re: photo of the underside. It's a bit wet and windy atm! :)

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Yep bad weather to take pics, serves you right for not sticking your baby in the garage :p

It won't fit, my garage is too full of Supra bits! :p Seriously, I think it would just fit, but I'd have to teleport out of the car...