The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PREPPING DASHBOARD FOR PAINTING = PAINT IN THE ASS /help

bigsupra

So I made a trip to the store today, I just got some 80 sand paper and 400 sand paper, the 80 is just to smoothen it out after. I also got goof off 2 and some WD40, good off 2 seemed to work better.

So basically I am trying to remove the sticky (rubber coating) layer from the supra dashboard so it's all smooth and ready to paint. Jesus christ it's a big pain in the ass, I was working on one small piece for about 1 hour, and all the black stuff sticks on the sand paper so it just makes it even harder. I didn't even finish it becuase I had enough of it.

What should I use to scrub that son of a bitch off?

I was thinking about steel wool? I just need something tough, once the sticky crap is off it should be straight forward from there.

THANKS

thanks for the link adnanshah247, I think my only problem is removing the rubby stuff from the dashboard. I just need to pick some sand papers that more rough.

btw, how did you remove the lighter thing from the center dashboard, also from the right side where the key is, how did you remove that button (beside the AC).

I can't seem to remove those things.

Dont sand it, do dont use 80, thats well coarse youll scratch the plastic underneath, get some electrical board alcohol cleaning solution from maplins, turn the rubber to water after a few soaks and scrubs, then 800 the dash and prime as its plastic, scrape the plastic and your looking at skimming it with filler or etch primer...etch primer, EIWWW.

thanks for the link adnanshah247, I think my only problem is removing the rubby stuff from the dashboard. I just need to pick some sand papers that more rough.

btw, how did you remove the lighter thing from the center dashboard, also from the right side where the key is, how did you remove that button (beside the AC).

I can't seem to remove those things.

Do you man the button to control how bright the cluster lights are? If so you will need to carefully price the round button off, then there is a nut which you can remove underneath it. The lighter you will see has some notches that make it click into place. Again a bit fiddly but you need to lift the notches up, you may need to place something small like a cocktail stick under a couple of them, while you free the rest then i does come apart.

I already bought the paint (plastic primer) which is white, and matte black for the finish.

I only got 1 can of the matte black paint, should that be enough ?

I already started on one piece of the dash, and like I said the rubbery stuff was a pain to remove...

I will try to remove it with hot water in the sink, I just need to remove those two things I mentioned.

Edited by bigsupra (see edit history)

I know its done, but Isopropyl alcohol from your local Chemist makes it easy.

One can is nowhere near enough. I have just done a spare dash I have acquired, and needed 2 black finish cans. You need to apply several layers to get it "properly" black, then lacquer it, again a few coats, to protect it.

I still need to do the right side key panel and the one on the door card, so that makes 3 I will have used.

I meant pain in the ass*, lol.

I used nail polish remover and that stuff worked great with some effort.

I finishd painting my bashboard, started with white primer, and now it's matte black and the paint already dried some what, I'll wait a few more hours to see if it will get any better.

I just ran my finger nail along the edge and the paint seems to scrape.

What kind of paint should I get to "protect" the matte black paint ?

Edited by bigsupra (see edit history)