The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ciao from italy

em-power

hi everyone, first of all sorry for my bad english!

im Luca, 28 years old...finish to study economy this summer, and now looking for a new car.

of course i want to buy a supra twint turbo, so im here for read news and technical treads about it. because in Italy we dont have supra forums, we have few supras owner...

i live in Roma and there are only 3 supra! and 7 million of people....so why im here.

i would like to buy my car in uk, i dont care about the rhd...

i will choose an automatic car (i dont like to use the shift with the wrong hand...and Roma is too traffic city, so i love the auto transmission)

but i want ask you something:

- as i told you, this is my first tt supra, what i need to check when i go to buy my supra, what are the most critical parts or easy test to do for check if the car and enginte and transmission are almost good?

(for exhample i know that some supra have problem with headlights...or you have to check if there is blu smoke when starting the car...other things to chek??)

- second question: im looking on pistonheads, ebay , autoscout24...there are other website that are good for searching supra for sale?

- last question: if i buy the car from an import store (boyztoyz or exclusive car or others) , majority of them can delivery the supra directly to my city. but normally the price from the store are a lot high.

if i buy the car from a private guy, i need to drive the supra to my home.... the license plate can be selled with the car...but how can i have insurance for the trip uk-italy??

i called a lot of italian insurance company, and nobody of them make insurance for a car with uk plates (only italian plate). so im asking if you know a uk company where i can buy 2-3 days insurance, just the time i need for the trip to home.

or better, if there is uk company where i can RENT the temporary plates ( they are plates that are valid for 2-3 days with insurance included on the price)

thank you a lot for all you info.

Ciao Luca & benvenuto :)

First places I would look for a Supra would be in the 'Supra Classifieds' section on this site. You can be fairly sure that most cars on here have been looked after and loved by a proper 'enthusiast'. The chances are that they will also be well-known by other forum members who will be able to verify how good the car is.

The other person to talk to would probably be Jurgen at JM-Imports (http://www.jm-imports.co.uk. I've not used him myself (just had the 1 Supra for 6-7 years now :p), but I only ever hear good things!

As for the numberplate thing, a very good question. Normally if someone was moving from the UK to live in Italy, they would just be able to drive there using their UK plates and license. I may well be wrong, but I believe you can drive with UK plates/license for up to 6 months before being considered a 'resident' and having to register the vehicle in the country you are in. Or at least I think that's how it worked in Spain when I was there for a few years. But if you are just coming over to get a car, and then going straight back to Italy, then I am not too sure. The car will be registered on UK roads so I guess, providing you have comprehensive insurance (not too sure how it works in Italy), you can come to the UK, collect the car, drive it back with UK plates/docs and then register it in Italy as soon as you are there?

This is all a guess mostly though based on what some people did when I was in Spain. This might also be something that Jurgen knows about as I'm sure he's dealt with requests like this in the job that he does :D

Cheers, ciao for now,

James

first of all, thank for the web site jm-imports..i will contact them

but in case i would like buy a supra from one forum's owner,as you seggest me, i have the trouble of the insurance

as you wirte

The car will be registered on UK roads so I guess, providing you have comprehensive insurance (not too sure how it works in Italy), you can come to the UK, collect the car, drive it back with UK plates/docs and then register it in Italy as soon as you are there?

yes for sure the car have a uk insurance, but in italy the insurance is nominative, is mine insurance and i cant give it to the buyer of my car, he need to buy his own insurance with his name print on!

and this come the issue... i cant buy an insurance (also temporary 2-3 days) in italy with uk plates...bcs there arent company that do this, you need the italian plates and docs for have the italian insurance.

for this im asking to you?

maybe is possible to yield the uk insurance to an italian guy just for drive the car to home?

or maybe is possible to buy a 2-3 days uk insurance for an italian , that dont live in uk but in italy, for a car with uk plates?

this things really hard for me...i cant understand how can i come back homeee...i love uk...but i wanna live in italy with my supra ahahhaah ;-)

Welcome, as others have said, you will find plenty here for sale, Jurgen being a good place to start as he can get you whatever you want.

Pity you do not have one lined up already as i'm going to Italy tomorrow and could have driven it over for you!

Good luck finding a supra, once you've driven it you'll become addicted!

yes for sure the car have a uk insurance, but in italy the insurance is nominative, is mine insurance and i cant give it to the buyer of my car, he need to buy his own insurance with his name print on!

Don't worry, it's the same in England. So, for example, I am insured to drive the Supra as my main car, and I am the registered owner of the car. On the Supra I have "Fully Comprehensive" insurance. Which means that, in the event of an accident, my insurance company will fix my car and the other car involved if I was to blame.

However, as part of my insurance, I am also allowed to drive any other car with "3rd Party Fire & Theft" cover, as long as I have their permission. So, for example, I can drive my Brother's Skyline, but the insurance will only pay for damages to someone else's car in the event of an accident. I will have to pay for any damage to the Skyline myself.

So, if it works the same in Italy, then maybe your insurance that you have there will allow you to collect the car from the UK and drive it to Italy? It may well only be 3rd party insurance, but better than none. So I think the first thing to do would be to talk to your Italian insurance company and ask them .. I am sure it will be ok, or they will offer some kind of cover.

I hope that helps. I can probably try to write this in Italian if it will help to explain it better for you :)

Cheers, James

Don't worry, it's the same in England. So, for example, I am insured to drive the Supra as my main car, and I am the registered owner of the car. On the Supra I have "Fully Comprehensive" insurance. Which means that, in the event of an accident, my insurance company will fix my car and the other car involved if I was to blame.

However, as part of my insurance, I am also allowed to drive any other car with "3rd Party Fire & Theft" cover, as long as I have their permission. So, for example, I can drive my Brother's Skyline, but the insurance will only pay for damages to someone else's car in the event of an accident. I will have to pay for any damage to the Skyline myself.

So, if it works the same in Italy, then maybe your insurance that you have there will allow you to collect the car from the UK and drive it to Italy? It may well only be 3rd party insurance, but better than none. So I think the first thing to do would be to talk to your Italian insurance company and ask them .. I am sure it will be ok, or they will offer some kind of cover.

I hope that helps. I can probably try to write this in Italian if it will help to explain it better for you :)

Cheers, James

unfortunatly not!

i have my own insurance...and its valid only on my car...my father have an other insurance for his car and so on...

of course i can drive the car of my father...and i can drive the car of all my friends...but if i have an accident...it will be a problem. depend if the insurance policy permit that the car be drived from another person.

any way..if i buy an italian car, from another italian seller, i need to call my insurance and have a new one for the new car.

if i buy a uk car, i need to have the italian plates and docs for have my italian insurance

it's for this that i dont understand how can i drive home from uk to italy with uk plates.

immagine that i want buy you car, i come , give you the money...you give me the car with all docs and plates...but what about your insurance? i can use it for few days...if the car is not your anymore, bcs i bought it from you? and you are not anymore the owner of the car?

i think no...but maybe i wrong??i can?? or police will stop me on the first check.

Welcome Luca,

Looking into the issue of you driving a car home from the UK, An option if you bought a members car off here would be to see if the seller would drive the car to Italy for you and you pay fuel costs, eurotunnel fares one nights hotel accomadation and a flight ticket home?? If I was selling I would be prepared to do this as would some others. There will be people that would not but it is an option :)

Good luck