The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater matrix

jackso11

Am I right in thinking I need to get the gas out of my aircon to change the heater matrix?

After I thought all my overheating problems were solved and I have had everything but the heater matrix changed......coolant smell in the car, steamed windows and a wet passenger footwell.

bugger.

So, new matrix is on the cards.

If I need to get the gas out of the system how do I do it?

Job looks time consuming but not hard so I will do it myself. :)

ok, matrix on order and a job planed for the bank holiday.

In the meantime I have been reading a million threads on bypassing or blocking the matrix to see if it solves overheating issues. I see bypassing it and allowing faster water flow can actually cause a blown head gasket, so bypassing with restriction (i.e. blocking of the pipes to the matrix) is the best option as this allows the block to cool down as it should.

I am sure there must be a 'how to' post on this somewhere but I can't find it. Can someone help me out? either by telling me which pipes to block - with a picture :) or a link to the post that I can't find please :)

So far the rad has been replaced 3 years ago, water pump been replaced a few days ago, thermostat done couple of weeks ago along with the rad cap and rad pipes. Viscous coupling being replaced today and now the heater matrix next weekend. Is there anything else that can cause over heating or am I going to be safe now??

Compression test says the block is fine and sniff test says no coolant in engine and no oil in coolant. Coolant in the footwell and steamy windows say the matrix has gone pop but my heaters are still very hot.

In the second photo you can just see two copper coloured humps. That is the top of the matrix.

You have to take the gas out of the air con because you have to disconnect all the pipes running to the heater box (the big grey box holding the matrix) and then semi remove the box until the matirx can be pull out upward away from the windscreen.

Toyota wanted just under £250 for a new matrix for mine so I took it to a recon place just up the A10 from me into Herford, called Hertford Rads. Charged me £40 to recon my old one and a find job he did too! Pressure tested it in front of me as well to find the problem and then prove he had fixed it.

I can't remember the size, but you can see and measure the heater pipes at the back of the head easy enough.

You can see the 2 spring clips, but they are difficult to get at to remove and replace.

You need to remove these 2 clips and hoses, and the 2 X 10mm bolts to ease the heater assembly away from the fire wall to replace the matrix.

Edited by David P (see edit history)