The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rain!!

tbourner

Apparently it's gonna rain this week.

I haven't driven in the rain yet I'm quite scared having only owned underpowered front wheel drive cars before.

It's got 4 brand new tyres on, but the rears are only 255 which I thought was a bit small tbh.

What should I watch out for? Apart from the glaringly obvious "Don't put your foot down round corners - or at all if you can help it!!".

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got 245's on the rear, but I do have some nice new Pirelli PZero Rosso's on there and it seems to have been ok so far in the showers and generally greasy conditions at the weekend.

I'm very respectful of the Supra in the wet, as are a few of the people I talked to at Santa Pod.

Just take it steady, watch for the spin up on the 2nd Turbo and don't go for the lead foot approach coming off of roundabouts or out of bends ;)

Ideally i'd like to find a nice big bit of damp tarmac with nothing in the way and have a play around with the handling and trying some cornering in the wet to see what happens.

Good luck chap :)

Sherriff.

Foot on gas at all coming around corners in the rain is a big no-no in my book on a big HP rwd. Second turbo is pretty much out of question as well. Keep the rpms low and it drives just fine.

RLTC is something in the neighborhood of 600-650 inc install. IFAIK.

Originally posted by tbourner

I haven't driven in the rain yet I'm quite scared having only owned underpowered front wheel drive cars before.

It's got 4 brand new tyres on, but the rears are only 255 which I thought was a bit small tbh.

What should I watch out for? Apart from the glaringly obvious "Don't put your foot down round corners - or at all if you can help it!!".

Fatter tyres won't help you in the wet anyway, because it is harder to get the water out from the contact patch.

Good condition tread (which you have) and careful driving is the key.

Originally posted by attilauk

driving a supra in the rain is like making love to a beautiful woman, you have to be gentle and smooth and for gods sake don't try and put your foot down you will just end up out of pocket and in pain:eek:

:sex:

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So true........:D

Originally posted by tbourner

Good advice above.

Also be v careful when going over painted lines, manhole covers etc in the wet.

And ... pedestrian crossings. Off the throttle over those in the wet.

Might be an idea to find a deserted wet car park or a big EMPTY roundabout and have 10 minutes pratting about just so you get a feel for when it might let go and what it's actually like when it does. That way you're less likely to be completely freaked if it catches you out.

Oh, and take up outdoor karting.

http://www.club100.co.uk

Very very good point about lines in the road (paint). I was stupid enough to have my foot on the loud pedal in the wet on an on ramp to the A40 once and went over the painted lines and saw my Trac light come on into snow mode at about 60mph.

Keeping in mind how much wheelspin you need for that to kick in is scary stuff at those speeds. :eek:

My back end went in the rain last night, just coming out of a corner from a roundabout. It just slid away as I put my foot down. I noticed right away and managed to regain control, I'll have more respect for rainy conditions now. Besides I've only just got the car (2 weeks back!) so it's a good lesson learned!

I've had the car a year now, and yesterday it was back to school for me . raods were very greasy with the rain and i just couldnt keep the back end anywhere near under full control. And this is on roads that I drive quite often when it's wet.

sooo i#m putting it down to lots of dust etc from the sunny days gettign washed along ... err i know what i mean lol

"Be carefull in the wet mate, good tyres make a difference but just keep the stock traction control on and you'll be fine :)"

Stock traction control robs you of power it is rubbish can leave you in a dangerous situation. I feel the car is safer with no TC rather than the stock system.

"RLTC you don't need,"

It is so bad they dont let them use it in F1 due to the advantages it gives.

"Holds you back", Oh no it does not, it actually let you make use of the grip you have got.

"Who needs traction control" any one who like that added protection in unforseen circumstances.

"I like to be in control of my car."

RLTC does not take that away you are in control.

Rally and Race drivers need not reply

Just ask any of the member who have stacked a car and now have RLTC for their views.

:flame Dev

Originally posted by Terminator

Just ask any of the member who have stacked a car and now have RLTC for their views.

Like who? (genuine question)

Didn't 'Far' and 'HISUPE' both have RLTC fitted when they had their shunts? iirc, both accidents were loss-of-control related.

Maybe Paul has a point!

. . . . . . nah, can't be. :D

Paul I have respect for anyone who can fully control the MKIV in the wet.

The thing with RLTC is it reacts so fast it often prevents slip situations that the driver can sense from even happening. The injector cuts are so subtle you only feel them if you have really over done it. With monitoring via a lap top in wet conditions you can see the system act but no way can you feel it or sense it, the car just feels like it is progressively delivering the power whilst maintaining grip. I can see why the took it out of F1 it made handling all that power so easy.

Used in the MKIV it is nothing like the stock system what so every. A bit like comparing two stroke to to a twin turbo system.

I was heading up the A316 near Roachill this morning and got caught in a really heavy blustery shower, road covered with water and rain drops bouncing making their own spray about 18 inches deep. With RLTC in wet mod I did not have any problems pulling away relatively hard while everyone else was tip toeing about. I stayed at legal speeds due to conditions, but white lines and water were not an issue. Obviously I was cautious due to aquaplane potential due to very wide tyres.

I have had the car nearly four years now, the first was with stock TC and I hated wet conditions, for the past three years with RLTC wet weather is not a problem at all. I actually like it wet as the TC really lets you use the power. Slowing down and braking still needs to be adjusted but pulling away and using power in corners can be done fairly quickly with out fear of the back braking away, particularly in an auto. I have not had rally training nor done and race training but have driven relatively high power RWD cars for over 30 years, the MKIV is more of a beast than anything else on four wheels that I have owned, so put my trust in RLTC to help me a bit.

Any one who is unsure about RLTC and not tried it, ask someone who has it to demonstrate, you will not be disappointed. If you like to drift occasionally just turn it off.

However is not for all people as evidenced in this thread.