The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 speed to 6 speed??

Baz018

Hi, my supra is a 5 speed manual, ive got a 6 speed on its way.

I been looking up on how to fit it but all i can find is auto to manual.

Will i still need the different trans tunnel cutting out and fitting??

will i need tt prop and diff??

Are you installing it in an NA or TT?

As mentioned above, you will need the 6spd prop. If it's a v160 you'll need the large diff and the shorter O/S drivehaft. If it's a v161 you'll need the front half prop from a TT manual and the rear half can come from either a manual or auto. It's not necesary to replace the diff with the 161 as it uses the same smaller casing as the NA, but would be best to swap it out for the manual smaller diff to get the correct final drive.

The slave cylinder also needs changing.

No trans tunnel mod is required. They are the same on all manual shells.

Not sure about the flywheel. Do you have a 6spd clutch already?

You can fit a small facelift 6spd diff with a V160, all the 6 spd diff ratios are the same and all you then need is the front part of the prop.

Good point. Are the rear props from the auto TT/v161 TT compatable with the v160 front prop? I believe the NA ones are different though

The props are all the same for each diff pro rata, ie small auto and facelift 6spd rear half of prop is the same, Big 6spd and UK auto/6spd is also same rear half of the prop.

Edit and they all connect to the 6spd fron half, its on splines.

Nice thread, change over from 5-speed towards the 6-speed, are there more differences between the V161 and V160,

Because the next step i want to get accomplished in the following year is the gearbox change over from 5-speed towards 6-speed,the engine is already been done but can't running more then 350 bhp because of the gearbox(W58) which can only handle (safely)approximately 260 rwkw, if you must choose between the V160 or V161 Which one would you take and why. The only thing I’ve found was the thread started by Alex in FAQ’s and Guides with the speeds calculated in the different gearboxes and gears, came out that the highest top speed can be reached with the V160. But couldn’t really find out which gearbox is really the best in overall when coming into a daily drive supra.

I was reading this thread and maybe anyone would have some more details or theory when coming to the differences between the 6-speed gearboxes.