The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What else to do whilst my dash is out?

James

Right folks, I currently have the car off of the road to give it a bit of a revamp as far as the styling goes.

SHORT VERSION: My dash is out, apart from the heater matrix, is there anything else worth replacing/checking before it goes back together?

NORMAL (LONG) VERSION ;) : I also need to replace my heater matrix and have been putting it off for too long (bypassed it) but, with the car being stripped down externally, it was the perfect time to take everything out on the inside too!

At present I'm faced with the car looking like this:-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs368.snc4/45154_505713088153_339200132_191473_3215522_n.jpg

The dash is 99% out, it's just stuck with wiring at the driver's footwell (being NA-TT, it's not just unplugging stuff to free it it would seem :rolleyes: ). The crash bar behind the dash is almost removable too, just need to get one more bolt undone (which, conveniently, is behind the mass of wires at said footwell!) and it'll be out and I can then get to the heater box to get the matrix out!

I have the seats and carpet out so I can dye the carpet black and, well, I dunno what I'm going to do as far as the seats go! Apart from save for some Brides. ;)

Aaaaanyway... I'm wondering if there are other things that I should be replacing while I have it apart like this?

Though it isn't behind the dash per se, I have already replaced the crank pulley - about 2000 miles ago - so that is ticked off the possible list of things to do!

Thanks! :)

Do you have (or are you planning on having) any aftermarket gauges? Now would be a good time to get some proper wiring installed for them in a tidy way. I.e. get a proper direct fused supply for them rather than piggybacking off other dash items.

Also if you have an aftermarket stereo it's a good chance to rip out all the uneeded wiring (such as the lines to the stock amp location, unused antenna wires, etc...)

Do you have (or are you planning on having) any aftermarket gauges? Now would be a good time to get some proper wiring installed for them in a tidy way. I.e. get a proper direct fused supply for them rather than piggybacking off other dash items.

Also if you have an aftermarket stereo it's a good chance to rip out all the uneeded wiring (such as the lines to the stock amp location, unused antenna wires, etc...)

I installed a boost gauge (52mm into clock hole) a few months ago following the guide posted up on here.

The previous owner had a voltmeter, oil temperature and oil pressure gauges installed in the lower half of the double din section where the stereo is. I haven't looked at the wiring for these at all yet. That may be a plan! In saying that, it's probably a good time to save up for new Defi items just now ;)

I'll check the stereo wiring as well! I want to get a new headunit that is iPod ready and such so I don't have to use an iTrip going into my lighter. Guess I should save for that now too!

Thanks Homer :)

Plumb in a fire extinguisher system? They aren't expensive and worth every penny.

Never even considered that in the slightest! May be a good idea!

Guest Nickamsweet

I may know someone with a complete fire extinguisher system :D but it's going in mine! :p

Def think complete radio, alarm, FCD, SLD and gauge wiring overhaul... make it sexy!!

Bluetooth radio connection for talking on the phone.

Possible LED conversion of the stock dials and buttons, to refresh the interior.

Think about converting all gauges to a DEFI chain, maybe install their HUD module.

If you track your car, an internal camara installation (search the site for cheap but good 12£ cameras) might be interesting.

Think about getting new dash panels if you are feeling rich. I'm very happy about mine. Looks like a new car.

I set up a cool iPod/iPhone installation with a dock sitting in a tray above the radio. This doubles as a navi system with all wires running behind the dash to avoid the annoying "in-window" installation. I can post pics if you need.

Maybe move battery in between the axles for better weight destribution, depending on your use of the car?

Roll cage?

on the back of the blue tooth radio, install a hidden microphone which can be linked to a bluetooth headunit so you can speak on the phone hands free.

Which reminds me my old supra had that, and I forgot to inform the new owner!

Additionally if you are feeling again flash, I'd install some RCB connections so you can link a device (iphone/psp/free view receiver etc.) to a decent monitor style headunit at a later time should you want to watch something through your car screen.

Maybe worth running a couple of RCA's and a signal cable to the back incase you fancy some subs etc at a later date.

Also upgrading the speakers and cabling?

I recently tore out the dash and had a few niggly bits that were annoying me, I'd use this as the perfect chance to have a full led conversion done (if you haven't yet)

Now I can't really see the pics too good with the sun beating down onto my iPhone screen, but if you haven't already got one, then dying your carpet black would be sweet too.

I may know someone with a complete fire extinguisher system :D but it's going in mine! :p

Def think complete radio, alarm, FCD, SLD and gauge wiring overhaul... make it sexy!!

Yeah, those wires are a joke! Definitely getting sorted out! :D

Bluetooth radio connection for talking on the phone.

Possible LED conversion of the stock dials and buttons, to refresh the interior.

Think about converting all gauges to a DEFI chain, maybe install their HUD module.

If you track your car, an internal camara installation (search the site for cheap but good 12£ cameras) might be interesting.

Think about getting new dash panels if you are feeling rich. I'm very happy about mine. Looks like a new car.

I set up a cool iPod/iPhone installation with a dock sitting in a tray above the radio. This doubles as a navi system with all wires running behind the dash to avoid the annoying "in-window" installation. I can post pics if you need.

Maybe move battery in between the axles for better weight destribution, depending on your use of the car?

Roll cage?

DEFIs would be cool, I just need to save up to afford them just now anyway! Would need to relocate them as my current oil temp, oil pressure and volt gauges are in the lower half of my double din as it's a single din headunit I have. :)

Can you show me the pics of your iPod dock wiring? That'd be cool, it's something I need to do (find a place for it when I change headunit!).

Battery I'll just leave where it is!

Not planning on a cage any time soon! Maybe down the line!

Dash panels just going to get painted, the actual dash itself is in good condition so I'm happy to keep that too! :)

on the back of the blue tooth radio, install a hidden microphone which can be linked to a bluetooth headunit so you can speak on the phone hands free.

Which reminds me my old supra had that, and I forgot to inform the new owner!

Additionally if you are feeling again flash, I'd install some RCB connections so you can link a device (iphone/psp/free view receiver etc.) to a decent monitor style headunit at a later time should you want to watch something through your car screen.

That's a good idea, but I'd probably not be too bothered about the monitor! I'd rather have gauges in there :)

Have a hoover about? :search:

Haha yeah that's a definite! :)

Maybe worth running a couple of RCA's and a signal cable to the back incase you fancy some subs etc at a later date.

Also upgrading the speakers and cabling?

I recently tore out the dash and had a few niggly bits that were annoying me, I'd use this as the perfect chance to have a full led conversion done (if you haven't yet)

Now I can't really see the pics too good with the sun beating down onto my iPhone screen, but if you haven't already got one, then dying your carpet black would be sweet too.

Speakers might be a good idea, I am a bit of a muso and it's currently poor sounding (headunit isn't doing any favours to be fair!).

I haven't done an LED conversion, again may be an idea! All of the dash panels will be off for a while so I have the time to take advantage of it for such things :)

Yeah, the carpet needs to go black! It is currently grey and looks very dated!

Got the rest of the dash out and the heater box - looking quite empty now! :-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs312.snc4/40960_505740762693_339200132_192458_7403056_n.jpg

:)

Can you show me the pics of your iPod dock wiring? That'd be cool, it's something I need to do (find a place for it when I change headunit!).

Here you go:

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/ipod/01.jpg

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/ipod/02.jpg

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/ipod/03.jpg

I don't have pictures of the wireing, but that simple:

The big ipod plug goes directly to a 12V charger, wired to the back of the 12V plug

The small jack goes to a stereo phono AUX-IN on the head unit.

Here functioning as GPS:

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/ipod/04.jpg

Or as a clock (fitting nicely with the OEM look) now there is a boost gauge in stead of the OEM one...

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/ipod/05.jpg