The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt's Single Build Project (HKS GT30R)

wallis

As a few of u guys will know i had some bad luck a few weeks ago when my car decided to spit parts of its turbo out the exhaust when being dyno'd :(

I thought i would start a project build and keep u posted on what im doing and hopefully get advise as im going along.

I decided to go single rarther than down the hybrid route for the old tubbies and after loads of great advise from members on here, decided to go with the HKS 3037S kit, im wanting to run about 500bhp so im not going crazy by all means, but this would be great for me and im really excited about the project.

see vid link below for this kit fitted to a supra.

Heres my shopping list so far with almost everything bought:

Engine Specifications:

NGK BCPR7ES Plugs.

Full Race Spec Alloy Rad.

HKS 3037S Turbo Kit. (GT30R)

K&N Induction kit.

Greddy 2 Row Front Mounted 3" Intercooler.

Fuel, Tuning & ECU:

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump.

HKS 660cc Inj.

Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller.

Greddy FCD.

AEM Stand alone ECU

Fluidyne 30 row oil cooler (Auto Box)

Fluidyne 30 row oil cooler (Engine)??

A&F Gauge

Oil Temp Guage

Boost Gauge

EGT Gauge

Im not getting my turbo kit for a week or so, and tonight i decided to strip out the turbos pipework etc, lights, bumber and stock intercooler so i can start the install for the 30 row oil cooler for my auto gear box, going in place of the stock intercooler.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115544&stc=1&d=1282164223

attachment.php?attachmentid=115545&stc=1&d=1282164223

attachment.php?attachmentid=115546&stc=1&d=1282164223

attachment.php?attachmentid=115547&stc=1&d=1282164223

I also need to purchase and fit an engine oil cooler the opposite side im not sure what size to go for though yet?

Im thinking of another 30 row, nice and big + loads of air flow from the side intakes on the stock bumpers.

Im also fitting a Greddy 2 Row Front Mounted 3" Intercooler which is going to be tight as fooke with a stock bumper, but i do like a challange here and there...lol

Well thats it for now will keep u posted on progress with loads of pics and any advise or tips welcome guys ;)

Cheers.

m.

turbo-gone-1.jpg

turbo-gone-2.jpg

turbo-gone-3.jpg

turbo-lights-out.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you got the car back then? Did you get the trailer from the place I said?

I love a forum where "going for 500hp" isnt seen as going crazy :D Good luck mate and Im about every weekend if you need a hand, also have a week off end of the month.

Yeah it's back mate, got the trailer from where u said cheers mate.

Craig as soon as I get the kit I'm defo gonna need a hand mate, much appreciated buddy and thx for the feedback guys.

Is your car auto? If so the AEM ecu is not a good idea.

It's an auto jaime, I thought the aem stand alone was perfect for an auto bud, well I was told?

I have seen u have a ecu for sale, so what would u go for, I was getting it mapped at advanced performance silverstone, they have done loads of single supras and recomended it for £1700 supplied fitted and mapped.

Let me know what u would go for, I've not paid for anything yet ecu mapping wise so could change my plans easy yet!

It's an auto jaime, I thought the aem stand alone was perfect for an auto bud, well I was told?

I have seen u have a ecu for sale, so what would u go for, I was getting it mapped at advanced performance silverstone, they have done loads of single supras and recomended it for £1700 supplied fitted and mapped.

Let me know what u would go for, I've not paid for anything yet ecu mapping wise so could change my plans easy yet!

You can use the AEM mate but you will still need to keep your stock ecu too to control the autobox - the AEM cant change the gears right it will drive like a bag of sh!t.

AEM is no good on a auto dude, it cant control the gearbox very well and will be nasty to drive and kill the box.

I did have a HKS f-con vpro for sale but thats gone now, if i was going single on a auto it would be Syvecs, F-con Vpro or motec for me.

You will hear some people bad mouth Dan turner on this forum but imo he is a good mapper.

AEM is no good on a auto dude, it cant control the gearbox very well and will be nasty to drive and kill the box.

I did have a HKS f-con vpro for sale but thats gone now, if i was going single on a auto it would be Syvecs, F-con Vpro or motec for me.

You will hear some people bad mouth Dan turner on this forum but imo he is a good mapper.

Cheers jamie for the heads up, I better stay away from the aem ecu then, and look for a syvecs.

Dan warned me there were some haters on here about him, but told me to ignore them, he's done some great projects which speak for them selves I guess!

hi guys a little update,

Just been stripping out some more of the front end tonight, i have removed the complete air-con set up and the old rad to make way for my new race spec alloy one, which i must say im well impressed with, its about 1" wider than the stock one so should do the job nicely, its a tight fit but she sits in perfectly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115648&d=1282339002

attachment.php?attachmentid=115650&d=1282339002

attachment.php?attachmentid=115652&d=1282339044

attachment.php?attachmentid=115657&d=1282339126

attachment.php?attachmentid=115653&d=1282339044

attachment.php?attachmentid=115658&d=1282339126

attachment.php?attachmentid=115654&d=1282339044

attachment.php?attachmentid=115651&d=1282339002

attachment.php?attachmentid=115649&d=1282339002

I have removed all the old intercooler pipes and am now just waiting on a fitting kit to arrive, so i can plan how the intercooler will be fitted, ive offered it up tonight and its very tight for a stock bumper....lol

attachment.php?attachmentid=115656&d=1282339044

One thing i do need advise on is the aircon, i need to cap off the two connectors but dont have a clue what fittings to use, unless u can leave them as they are?

attachment.php?attachmentid=115655&d=1282339044

My compressor is foooked and has not worked for about 4 years, im guessing it could be ok to leave because of this?

Im waiting on loads of parts which is a bummer as i cant get on with as much as i would of liked too this weekend now.

I was hoping my oil coolers would be here but there not!

So the plan now for this weekend is to strip down the rocker cover and change the gasget (its got a few areas behind the turbos which are looking greasy) then change the cam belt.

Once thats done the front end can then be put together for good, im also waiting on new silicone hoses for the rad, coming from japan.

Ive decided im going crome and satin black under the bonnet with blue hoses all round :)

I was wondering what kit people are buying for the engine oil cooler, i need a sandwich plate to run my lines and gauges from and wondered what peepz recommend?

Cheers,

m.

friday1.jpg

friday2.jpg

friday3.jpg

friday4.jpg

friday6.jpg

friday7.jpg

friday8.jpg

friday9.jpg

friday10.jpg

friday11.jpg

friday12.jpg

friday13.jpg

What's with the crank pulley?

Its shed a few pounds....lol

No my CP went a few months ago and i couldn't get a replacement quick enough so i fitted this as a test to see what difference it made to the drive, performance wise.

It does make a hell of a diff to the way the engine revs out, much pokier, downside as many a post has debated its not wise to stray away from the stock one due to the vibration jibba jabba thingy.

I will probably change it back but im in no rush, the car does such little millage a year im hoping i will be safe to leave it on for the limited use i give her.

I had a AEM stand alone, no piggy back with my old BL box, no problem what so ever, shifted just like a stock auto, mapped by Ryan, so you can use the AEM for autos.

Its shed a few pounds....lol

No my CP went a few months ago and i couldn't get a replacement quick enough so i fitted this as a test to see what difference it made to the drive, performance wise.

It does make a hell of a diff to the way the engine revs out, much pokier, downside as many a post has debated its not wise to stray away from the stock one due to the vibration jibba jabba thingy.

I will probably change it back but im in no rush, the car does such little millage a year im hoping i will be safe to leave it on for the limited use i give her.

Hmmm, even with the vibrational downside it is interesting hearing realworld experience of the 2jz with one. Got me thinking, one of those and a lightened flywheel should be interesting....

Todays been a good and bad day!

Got the FMIC mounted and it fits as snug as a bug in a rug (hopefully my fitting kit will be here this week)

attachment.php?attachmentid=115696&d=1282423721

attachment.php?attachmentid=115697&d=1282423721

attachment.php?attachmentid=115698&d=1282423721

attachment.php?attachmentid=115699&d=1282423721

Got the rest of the engine stripped ready for the cam belt change which would of been today however it seems i have been sent one for a nissan micra??

attachment.php?attachmentid=115700&d=1282423721

attachment.php?attachmentid=115701&d=1282423872

attachment.php?attachmentid=115702&d=1282423872

I Changed the rocker cover gasget and decided to paint the covers satin black as im defo going for the mad max look, however (BAD TIMES) every single one of my coil pack clips have fallen to bits so i now need to source 6 of these and splice them on to my loom, which is now another job to add to the list :(

Hey if anyones got a quick fix to this let me know please guys!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=115703&d=1282423872

attachment.php?attachmentid=115704&d=1282423872

attachment.php?attachmentid=115705&d=1282423872

I also decided to feature my car in now what looks like a circus tent to keep me dry......lol

attachment.php?attachmentid=115706&d=1282423907

I think tommorrow im having a break, but hopefully this week i will have the cam belt done, change the plugs, source coilpack connectors, get the intercooler fitted with pipes, get the front end back together rad etc, get the oil coolers mounted and fitted, possibly get a sandwich plate sourced for engine oil cooler and run the lines for that..........the list goes on!

Im hopefully getting the turbo kit this friday and im waiting on loads of other stuff turning up this week so will keep u posted.

cheers,

m.

sat2.jpg

sat1.jpg

sat.jpg

sat11.jpg

sat5.jpg

sat7.jpg

sat6.jpg

sat8.jpg

sat3.jpg

sat10.jpg

sat9.jpg

I Changed the rocker cover gasget and decided to paint the covers satin black as im defo going for the mad max look, however (BAD TIMES) every single one of my coil pack clips have fallen to bits so i now need to source 6 of these and splice them on to my loom, which is now another job to add to the list :(

Hey if anyones got a quick fix to this let me know please guys!!

You'll be needing this part number 90980-11246 and THIS thread ;)

Keep up the good work! You are bound to run into a few problems but keep at it and it'll be worth it!

Nice work, rad looks huge, what make is it?

Whats the hotside .ar on the new turbo?

The rad is huge mate, its an ebay speacial im affraid but im well impressed with the weld and build quality, it came from the states.

It's a 1.06 a/r housing mr j ;)