The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spacer and spigot ring measures. Check them for me please

bodilx6

I'm having some hubcentric spacers made (I know, I know.. it's not advisable but I need room for UK brakes and don't feel like speding 3000£+ for new wheels right now) for my fronts and a pair of rings for the rear.

My wheels are with a 67.1 spigot

Could I ask you guys to double check the measures below?

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/Spacer.jpg

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/Public/Ring.jpg

It's on purpose that the outer diameter is 67 and not 67.1 as I'm afraid an exact measure of 67.1 would give me issues fitting the wheels as all is made from maximum strength alloy (called 7075).

Any thoughts?

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

Sorry i missed the bit on the end of your sentance lol :)

Figures look okay to me but i'd make them a closer fit in the wheels.

I'd measure all four wheels 1st and i'd make them as close a fit as possible. 0.1mm is quite a lot of clearance and if possible i'd halve that.

My aluminium spigot rings are a very slight interfearance fit on both the hub and the wheel and i have no problems fitting them.

My aluminium spigot rings are a very slight interfearance fit on both the hub and the wheel and i have no problems fitting them.

Great. I will make them to the exact measurements of my plastic rings, that fits very tightly. If all goes wrong, I would guess I just need a bit of sand paper to remove dirt/corrosion in the wheels.

I would engage the spigot further into the wheel centre, as deep as the relief in the wheels allow, within reason, say up to 20 mm or so. I probably wouldn't bother with the 45 degree taper if the holes in the rims have a lead in taper.

Thanks Chris, I'll check how far I can extend the spigot into the wheels.

I'm not 100% what you mean with the taper, but I'm guessing you are talking about the angle laid in from the base of the spacer towards the spigot, right? It was a recommendation from the guy who makes them to make them as strong as possible as there is only 67-60.1=6,9mm connecting the "spigot" part to the spacer. He emphasises a way to do it was to use as much angle as the wheel would allow. So we modelled it after a plastic spigot ring that fits tightly to the wheel.

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

I use a bit of scotchbrite to clean up the hub and wheel spigots, works a treat :)

I think Chris means the 15 degree lead angle into the wheel not the chamfer for strength, i personally would use a radius where you have the 45 degree chamfer and just use a 1.0 x 45 degree break corner chamfer where you have the 15 degree angle

As circled in pink :)