The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Drag Series

Jamesy

Been reading up about the HKS drag series and it looks like great fun.

Was interested in the Street class but not sure my car will be powerful enough to really compete.

Does anyone know much about the Street class? They say u need to run better than a 12.5 but that seems pretty vague to me? Are there cars running sub 10's in that class?

Wondering if they allow autos in or if it has to be manual?

Cant see much in the way of prices to enter/compete but the idea sounds good :D

Been reading up about the HKS drag series and it looks like great fun.

Was interested in the Street class but not sure my car will be powerful enough to really compete.

Does anyone know much about the Street class? They say u need to run better than a 12.5 but that seems pretty vague to me? Are there cars running sub 10's in that class?

Wondering if they allow autos in or if it has to be manual?

Cant see much in the way of prices to enter/compete but the idea sounds good :D

Get your car ready first :p:D

I don't think you have to pay to enter. From memory you get your tickets supplied free although ready to be corrected on that but you do need a racing lisence which can be applied for through the MSA. The majority of street class runners run 10-11 second passes but it's based on who gets across the line first so it's not usually the quickest car there that takes the prize at the end of the day. Auto is fine but you need a roll cage fitted that needs to meet the regulations. If Andy Robinson fits the cage you know it will meet the regs because he comes up with them from what I understand.

You will need a full cage Robinson will charge about £2500-3000 for your road car and it will go thru the dash, a prop hoop, a scatter shield for the flywheel, longer wheel studs a 3" harness that is in date. The competitive cars in the street class are running very low 10's or high 9's, it is good fun and a good way to start a drag racing career. There is no entry fee and you get 4 free tickets and 4 more at half price, you need an MSA licence and you need to join the santa pod racers club.

Go for it dude, if you keep the car slow you only need a rear roll hoop.

You will need a full cage Robinson will charge about £2500-3000 for your road car and it will go thru the dash, a prop hoop, a scatter shield for the flywheel, longer wheel studs a 3" harness that is in date. The competitive cars in the street class are running very low 10's or high 9's, it is good fun and a good way to start a drag racing career. There is no entry fee and you get 4 free tickets and 4 more at half price, you need an MSA licence and you need to join the santa pod racers club.

Go for it dude, if you keep the car slow you only need a rear roll hoop.

cheers John

i think i'll have to do a few RWYB drag days to see what times the car puts out - dont wanna embarass myself !!! I'd hope it would be respectable.

Altho £2.5k for a cage is very off putting :(

Was looking at getting the MSA last year anyway when i was looking at the touring car stuff, but this seems more fun and a lot cheaper to do!

What do u mean by keeping slow and having a "rear roll hoop" mate?

cheers John

i think i'll have to do a few RWYB drag days to see what times the car puts out - dont wanna embarass myself !!! I'd hope it would be respectable.

Altho £2.5k for a cage is very off putting :(

Was looking at getting the MSA last year anyway when i was looking at the touring car stuff, but this seems more fun and a lot cheaper to do!

What do u mean by keeping slow and having a "rear roll hoop" mate?

You only need the full cage when it run faster than a certain time, I think it may be 11.5, the rear hoop still has to conform to the regs.

Mate i would get my arse handed to me:

PRO

Purpose-built drag cars with lightweight chassis, huge slick tyres and BIG power. Pro cars should run sub 10secs, the best runs in 2008 were 7.7’s at over 170mph.

If you want to go for it i will run through everything with Lee so he can get the car sorted for you, fully prepped track , no Q's adoring women throwing themselves at you ...................whats stopping you???:)

You know im a sucker for a bit of pier pressure (and the chicks :D)

Strange that a series called Pro street Drag has banned Pro Street cars!!! IE Tubbed, sounds a bit ramshacklke to me but prob good fun, are they run at RWYB??? if so th etrack prep is quite different to the HKS series.

Lots of cars in that that run all sorts of times, i think your car will do a low 10 with ease with the right tyres.

Would be great!! May have to stick the bloody jspecs in the back again and stick some proper 15's on it!!

I'd be interested to see how u do in the last round mate, when u racing?

Strange that a series called Pro street Drag has banned Pro Street cars!!! IE Tubbed, sounds a bit ramshacklke to me but prob good fun, are they run at RWYB??? if so th etrack prep is quite different to the HKS series.

I dont think it was a case of them banning them, i dont think they had any cars to run in it.

Pro class hasn't been banded just that anybody can now run slicks etc and it now goes on what times you run.

Not many street class cars run in the 9's so pro class have there own time band if the get down that low, if not and you run 10s or 11s your'll be in same timeband as real street class cars and some stripped out lower powered cars running on slicks.

Track is prepped the same for all, you just get on and do your best, i've seen cars run 8s and one ran a 194mph terminal last meet so no problem with traction ;-)