The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting clear headlight lenses

jackso11

I have bought some clear headlight lenses from a member who was involved in the original group buy ages ago and need some help fitting them. I have the guide that I found on here, this Gaz made it? but it involves cutting up the original lenses and screwing these new ones on top. Now the clear lenses I have came with fibreglass replicas of the original lense surround but they don't have a lip to srew onto.

Has anyone fitted clear lenses using this fibreglass replica lip/insert? how do you bond the lense to it?

The guide tell you how to do it mate, you can either bond the lip into the headlights wait for them to set and then seal the lens to the lip or you can seal the lip to the lens wait for it to set and then bond the lot to the headlight.... I think

I'm looking at getting a set off him soon aswell so have read the fitting guide already

Cutting the original lense out isn't as bad a job as it sounds jackso, I put mine off for months and months as I really didn't fancy doing it, but got a donor set in the end and got them cut. It's time consuming to get it perfect but I think it's worth it.

I'm still not finished mine, they've taken a back seat recently but a couple of hours will sort them. Mine didn't come with the fiberglass bit though, and it doesn't sound familiar...is it a mould?

• 3 weeks later...

what do you use to polish up the edges of the clear lenses after trimmin off the excess plastic?

Also, how do you mask off the edge for painting to cover the epoxy? quite a tight curve at the corners of the lights

also, expoxy or clear silicone to bond the fibreglass lip to the clear lense? I guess epoxy will last but silicone is easy to pump out a long the edge.

Edited by jackso11 (see edit history)

what do you use to polish up the edges of the clear lenses after trimmin off the excess plastic?

Also, how do you mask off the edge for painting to cover the epoxy? quite a tight curve at the corners of the lights

also, expoxy or clear silicone to bond the fibreglass lip to the clear lense? I guess epoxy will last but silicone is easy to pump out a long the edge.

Shouldn't need to polish them as you won't see that bit when it's all together and painted if I'm thinking of the same bit. I used a sanding attachment on the dremel to get a smooth finish, you could use sandpaper or a file too.

I used lots of small bits of masking tape to get the shape of the curve right, then bigger bits once I'd got the line I wanted.

I've used ordinary black silicone in the past when refurbing but it never seems to seal properly (maybe I haven't been using enough of it) but I've got some outdoors roof and guttering seal stuff to try this time. Supraloopy might give you some decent advice on this one bud.

How you getting on with them?

I am fine with sealing them back together, I have done loads of sets of normal lights just never the clear lenses. I have the fibre glas insert and the clear lense, its what to glue them together with that is my problem. Epoxy or silicone? I guess epoxy but can you get something like epoxy in a pump to run a bead al round the inside?

Or mybe mastik?