The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tax and insurance

Newgendesign

Can anyone help:

Having bough my Supra last yare, I'm now trying to sell my Mr2 . I have a potential buyer coming next week to purchase said car. Now I originally put the car into storage 6 months ago and informed the post office etc. with the intention of retaxing when the it came to be sold.

Now my blinkin insurance company is stating that they can only tax cars for a 12 month period - so I cant even get insured for a day just to tax the thing? This is ludicrous. The whole system doesnt even attempt to make it easy to peole to play by the rules and tax,MOT and insure their cars! It seems dead silly.

Can anyone suggest a company that will do short term insurance so I can take the guy out for a test drive/and get it taxed?

It seems the big players (directline, tescos etc) only do Tax for 12 months minimum.

Help?

Originally posted by SUPRACHRIS

Or just dont tax it! save you 90 quid and less hassle, if you do take out a policy and cancel it they charge you a percentage for doing so (10 percent roughly). ;)

it stills needs insuring though for the test drive.

Yeah you could take out insurance then cancel it, you'll lose a bit but get most back I should think. Just make sure that the policy covers the guy test driving- most won't. It is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the insurance is valid for the test drive btw.

MMM. Thansk for your thoughts - seems such an odd way of doing anything though!

A mate of mine suggested what would I do if I had a courtesy car? Surely a courtesy car needs insuring for a short time, and usually they add it to your current insurance? I'll ring them back - theres obviously litttle money in it for the insurance company for them to not even try to offer a solution.

Originally posted by SUPRACHRIS

Or just dont tax it! save you 90 quid and less hassle, if you do take out a policy and cancel it they charge you a percentage for doing so (10 percent roughly). ;)

If the worst were to happen and the car was involved in an accident whilst on the test drive would the insurance be invalidated because of no tax?

Mmm. scary thought.

Im not so scared about the test drive: its more to do with him driving home in it without tax.

I could possibly pursuade him but I wouldnt like to drive a car for 100 miles without tax. I doubt he will either!

I'll have another go at Tescos (the unhelpful gits)

I mean that test drive will be in a car park scenario (!!) not on public roads. That way I'm not even risking it.

Anyways - I phoned up my insurance again (just to see if they changed their minds) and sure enough, what happens:

A different rep answered and I explained the predicament: teh result - "no problem". 10 days for a tenner! I couldnt believe that two seperate reps gave me two differentt answers. My god. What a pile of sh@te.

Anyway - I explained how frustrating this was to be told two vastly contrasting pieces of info from the same company. This is absolutly typical of insurance companies.

Lesson learnt: Try phoning insurance companies back to see if they change their mind/view/policies - seems to be the case. I'll be doing the same when I phone to insure my Supra again!

(but obvioulsy glad I'm now insured)

If your have done a SORN declaration that it has been off the road then the bloke buys it, he is entitled to drive it home, if he does get pulled by the police then unless he starts punching them they are not going to go overboard, prob just a seven day wonder to make sure he will buy it, plus it gets backdated anyhow. I just brought a car which was not taxed and drove it home no problems and that was fifty miles or so.:)

When you say "no problems" should we imply that's because you didn't get pulled for not being taxed?

Had anyone here ever had a tax 'issue' with the Police? I can't imagine it.

Also, regarding short term insurance - I think as a member of the Generanl Insurance Standards Council (or whatever it's called) there is something like 16 days after you pay for you to get a FULL refund. But it's probably worth checking out.

When you insure over the phone they play you a recorded message that lasts about 3 or 4 minutes - it explains it in that.

I think £10 for 10 days is much better though! :)

Why dont you change your supra insurance to the MR2 for a couple of days. I did that (with the exact same cars funnily enough) and taxed it that way?

Or add it to your current Supra insurance for a week and get your insurance co to send a new certificate:)