The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/a cam cover carboned

Dave

thought i would have a go at my cam cover,with my carbon wrap

quite a fiddly job took me about 6 hours .

do you think its looks better with the toyota badge or not ,also a pic with clear over the carbon ,dont like it much ive ordered some resin,gonna give that a go .tbh i like the dry look better :)

Guest blueangel

neither resin or clearcoat will work over this stuff dude so id save your money, resin has a chemical reaction with the colouring in the material and what you end up with isnt anything like what it starts as.

Also im sure the engine bay will get to temperatures above 70deg which is what the glue is rated at so it may stay on awhile but long term its gonna peel for sure.

neither resin or clearcoat will work over this stuff dude so id save your money, resin has a chemical reaction with the colouring in the material and what you end up with isnt anything like what it starts as.

Also im sure the engine bay will get to temperatures above 70deg which is what the glue is rated at so it may stay on awhile but long term its gonna peel for sure.

the glue i use is 120 degrees and ive had a piece on the cover for two weeks and it was ok ,but we will see, its definately a test process to see if it lifts or not .

and with the clear coat on it does change the look of the carbon for the worse ,do you think resin will also do this, as i was reading the other thread regarding the oem mirrors he said fabric was used and from the pics it looks ok.maybe he used ni-doc.

but as said i dont like the look of shiny carbon

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

Guest blueangel
the glue i use is 120 degrees and ive had a piece on the cover for two weeks and it was ok ,but we will see, its definately a test process to see if it lifts or not .

and with the clear coat on it does change the look of the carbon for the worse ,do you think resin will also do this, as i was reading the other thread regarding the oem mirrors he said fabric was used and from the pics it looks ok.maybe he used ni-doc.

If you have upped the glue to a 120deg then you should be ok but defo not the resin or clearcoat.

The guy that did the mirrors used genuine carbon dry weave fabric not the stuff were using dude hope this helps.:)

Guest blueangel

If you have upped the glue to a 120deg then you should be ok but defo not the resin or clearcoat.

The guy that did the mirrors used genuine carbon dry weave fabric not the stuff were using dude hope this helps.:)

yeah thanks blueangel i realised that after that it was genuine carbon ,it ruins the look if you put clear or resin on it .:)

I heard that the 3M carbon wrap could be lacquered with 2K clear? dose it react then?

Also any 2k paint/lacquer will be fine with under bonnet temps.

the stuff i use is a fabric and when sprayed with laquer it ruins the look ,dont know about the 3m carbon