The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Advice!

SaqTRD

Hi,

As some of you may know, I've had alot of bad luck with my Supra the last couple of weeks. The turbo seal on the number 1 turbo went and I had to source second had turbos for the car. As you know its not the best thing to do but I wanted the car up for SupraPod just to race it and had the intention to buy brand new hybrids from CR Turbos for around 800 quid.

Now my question is, do you guys think its a better idea to go single with that sort of money? I know its alot more with an ECU and injectors etc. But I was think of getting a single turbo and manifold, bolting it on to my car for now and running it at low boost so the car is drivable. Would I be able to get something on my budget to run on stock ECU and Injectors for now?

Can anyone recommend me a Turbo/Manifold? I know for my budget it'll be a second hand turbo.

Any help would be great

Saq

you can run the smaller phr kit at low boost on stock ecu and injectors. but they are designed for the usa/euro/uk spec injectors so dont think would be much use on jspec... its still going to cost you 4k if i remember correctly before shipping and fitment.

If you buy a second hand turbo kit and run it on your stock ecu/injectors, you'll blow your car up.

Going single, properly, is around a £10k by the time you factor in Turbo kit, fuel setup, ECU, intercooler, clutch, etc.

Just get some replacements twins and save.

If you buy a second hand turbo kit and run it on your stock ecu/injectors, you'll blow your car up.

Going single, properly, is around a £10k by the time you factor in Turbo kit, fuel setup, ECU, intercooler, clutch, etc.

:thumbs:

I would try and see if Toyota still have stock of any new ones. I know they are dear but IMHO new turbos are far longer lasting than rebuilt ones plus yours may well have cracks in ehe turbine housing(s). The labour to fit turbos properly is high, you don't want to be having to do the job twice. Even the gaskets are a lot of money, let alone the labour.

hey up mate,

Im in the exact same possition as u at the moment but have decided to go single and the cost is pretty high!

I think its cost me so far about 4k and im fitting everything myself, u could easily double that with garage labour cost!

I would advise u to get a set of good low millage sec hand tubbies, dont go down the hybrid road, its allot of money for a pretty much stock setup.

matt.

Hey Saq

Pistonbroke and Supraturbochris have both gone Hybrid recently, I would suggest you PM them both or wait for them to see this thread for them to give you some feedback. They both seem very happy with their setup when I last saw them. As far as I understand the hybrid route is good if you are planning on running higher boost levels constantly from a JSpec perspective. So you could run 1.4bar all day long (like how you can on the UK's), from what I read it too much boost and you are most loosing power. I am sure someone with Hybrids can clear it up for you.

Hey Abz

Thanks for the advise. Its good to hear that hybrids have worked out. I've spoken to Paul from Whifbitz and am considering getting my turbos rebuilt with steel internals and run them at 1.2 bar like I was with my JSpecs.

Going to see if its worth going the extra mile to upgrade to hybrids but I was very happy with the power my car was producing before hand.

Boy I miss driving it
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_sad.gif

Hey Saq

Pistonbroke and Supraturbochris have both gone Hybrid recently, I would suggest you PM them both or wait for them to see this thread for them to give you some feedback. They both seem very happy with their setup when I last saw them. As far as I understand the hybrid route is good if you are planning on running higher boost levels constantly from a JSpec perspective. So you could run 1.4bar all day long (like how you can on the UK's), from what I read it too much boost and you are most loosing power. I am sure someone with Hybrids can clear it up for you.

That cost of 10k makes the singles for sale on here look very good value,had no idea it was that much

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, found the thread, so I'll contribute. :D

My turbos were smoking a fair bit so I was presented with what to do about it. Going single was never an option, I can't afford to do it properly, so I'll settle for the best I can get. New turbos from toyota are 2k last time I checked, (without fitting costs). For that money, I could have my old Jspecs reconditioned twice over :D I searched around at all the options. I even started a thread about all the companies that recondition turbos, and got prices from each.

I then researched issues that people have had with hybrids to find out the low down on them. Two very important things to factor when going hybrid. 1) If your casings are cracked, its not worth reconditioning them, they won't last any time at all. 2) who's doing the work.

So, First thing is to get them inspected to see if they're in good enough nick to go down the hybrid route. Supraturbochris bought a second hand set of hybrids from a member and they ate themselves within a day or two, he stripped them and found a bodge weld repair from a crack in the casing, proving my point. (the hybrids were built by turbo technics). Chris has now had his original turbos from the car hybridised by CRturbos, and they are back on, and running beautifully.

When it comes to getting the work done. CRturbos have been the best recommended that I've found. Sure, Jamie is right, I've only had the hybrids on a few months, but Blackwatch666 has had them on a few years now running 1.2bar on an almost daily basis I believe, without fault.

I made a point of asking CRtubos to thoroughly inspect the casings on both sides for cracks before commencing any work, they confirmed that my turbos were in excellent condition apart from a leaking exhaust side seal. Getting this done alone would have been considerably cheaper, but I wanted the steel internals so I can run 1.2 bar without being on the threashold for the turbos limit.

As for lagginess of the steel turbines, yes, they boost about 300-500rpm later (seems to depend on outside temperature), but it's a compromise I'm willing to pay for stronger turbos.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

""Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask""

So that's £900 for hybrid with steel internals??? What makes them hybrids bud? Also what power have u made/whats the comparison to stock tubbies at 1.2?

Sorry so many questions but really want to go single and can't afford to do it properly!! Bug I'm still on the quest for more bhp!!!!