The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction filter choice.....

Evil_Nuts

Hi everyone, now I've got the car running mint......I'm doing small jobs so it'll survive the winter until i can have a think about what to complete summertime, I'm not too sure about my induction filter, i think is a non branded cheap type.....i was thinking about just replacing it with a K&N but thought i'd ask everyones opinions...I don't want a mushroom type as I've heard they can let crap through...

Cheers ears!

Chris

Most heatshields I've seen are made from thin sheet metal/ali and do not box the filter in....making them more of a placebo than a useful mod. Warm air circulates, a little sheet of ali between the block and the filter is pointless.

Of course the sound is nice :) ...and as mentioned are better suited to singles than stock/bpu cars.

I'm sure there are plenty lying about from all the single conversions. The stock airbox is a pretty hard set up to beat.

Totally agree Miguel.

If you can find a stock air box it will be the best choice as it draws in cold air form outside of the bay, and the stock filter panel has a huge surface area, changed at sensible intervals the stock paper filter is unbeatable for dirt removal.

Are you on a single turbo or something? If not I would be spending on re routing the IC pipe rather than trying to get a cold air feed to an under bonnet none stock filter.

No Chris, just BPU with an FMIC. Didn't think it was at all possible to be able to get the intercooler piping out of the way enough to be able to get a stock airbox back on.

I guess it might be worth me having a go at it if it's possible? I'd much prefer a stock airbox, I really don't like aftermarket filters at all unless absolutely necessary as I'm a firm believer in not changing stuff that doesn't need changing. I guess I just mentally dismissed it as an option without really thinking about it. First point of call would be getting hold of a stock airbox and piping I guess and working around that.

If anyone is reading this who has an FMIC with stock airbox, if you have a picture of your engine bay I'd appreciate it to give me an idea of piping re-route.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Evil_nuts, I'll get out of the way now :)

No Chris, just BPU with an FMIC. Didn't think it was at all possible to be able to get the intercooler piping out of the way enough to be able to get a stock airbox back on.

If anyone is reading this who has an FMIC with stock airbox, if you have a picture of your engine bay I'd appreciate it to give me an idea of piping re-route.

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Evil_nuts, I'll get out of the way now :)

I'd have thought its easy enough to do with a custom pipe made to suit to go round the back of the airbox.

I new i'd seen a car with a hard pipe fitted, this is on Barneys uk spec, dont think he'll mind me pinching his picture.

SupraForSale2007.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I'd have thought its easy enough to do with a custom pipe made to suit to go round the back of the airbox.

I new i'd seen a car with a hard pipe fitted, this is on Barneys uk spec, dont think he'll mind me pinching his picture.

Thanks Dnk, appreciate it, just what I was looking for. Now I just need a stock airbox :)

Ahhh, can get rid of that HKS rubbish now !:cool:

That looks cool!

Yes the whole car is stunning and is in the classifieds for sale section, possibly one of the best mkivs in the country.

Thanks Dnk, appreciate it, just what I was looking for. Now I just need a stock airbox :)

Ahhh, can get rid of that HKS rubbish now !:cool:

My pleasure to help, im thinking of putting my airbox back on now to see if i can feel any differance. i might even pop it on the dyno to see.

I think you would also be able to use the o/e SMIC pipe that goes behind the airbox as well, i asked Barney about his but he bought if off someone on here and thinks it was a 1 off.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)