The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying wheels from the U.S question

pistonbroke

I'm looking to buy some wheels from the states. I've asked the seller about paying dutyimport tax on the goods when they arrive, and whether or not it'd be possible to mark them as a gift. (I've heard this apparently bypasses the tax thing).

They've said that all duties/taxes will be paid, so I'll not get hit with any of it. But I've just been informed by someone else, that the overseas seller has no control over the duty once it arrives in this country, so I could still get hit with the tax.

Anyone know anything definitive on this?

Think it is a bit hit and miss really had a couple of items of clothing from the us around £265 worth, i got taxed on delivery for these, but i ordered a carbon splitter for my rx7, which was £400 and that was delivered with no question of tax, don't know how it is ment to work though!!

I doubt the seller can control the import tax. I have had stuff from the states as a gift but nothing as big as wheels.

The value of the package should be it and that's how you get charged the import tax.

Best thing to do is get the seller to price the parcel less;).

If they come by Fedex you will almost certainly be taxed. They will also charge you for the privilege. Marking the declared amount down is risky. If they get damaged or lost and you make a claim they will go by the declared amount as the value of the items.

If the seller has a courier account setup then he CAN cover taxes and duty in another country.

When you ship an item under a company account, there is an option to cover the shipping and duty fees, or bill the shipping and duty fees to the customer as COD.

If he has promised you, then he may well be adding the customs to his account with the chosen courier.

Edited to add, There will be a customs fee either way, but it's a bonus if he's agreed to cover the costs and gets them to bill his account.

Edited by DARETT (see edit history)