The mkiv Supra Owners Club

starting to think there is such a thing as an unlucky car.

pauld36

after owning several supra all mk4 an various models i have always thought of the sup as the best car ever made with outstanding reliability,,,however i bought a crashed single turbo an i think its jinxed .

after having all crash damadge repaired dvla messed me about for 3-4 months before i could drive it,so into the paint shop she goes.6 weeks later a beautiful hok electric blue beast emerges.then a new engine with all the goodies transfered from my knackered engine.

so 3 weeks later and i finally have my dream car legal and looking stunning[in my eyes] .

and finally the jinxed part

within 5 days engine making very strange sounds an seriously down on power.

turns out the person who fitted engine didnt map to engine cos it wasnt asked[might remember i had thread on here at time an agreed no names as bottom line was my fault]

so onto next engine..very carfull and taken time to set up and remapped,hooray i can put my foot down a little,,,,but only for a couple of miles cos now ive melted the paint on my bonnet.

again my fault but a bit of a bastard anyway[hindsight is a wonderful thing specially as the heat sheild was only £25 quid.

so thought bollox iv wrecked it so il drive it till winter then get it sorted.

next it started to pressure up in the cooling system to a point where the radiator cap spring allowed it to vent,so changed cap and thermostat to no avail,a very helpful chris from carnnoseur of southend suggested a major airlock in engine,wich although took a couple of hours to sort didnt actually cost me anything.

so all problems solved i was enjoying driving around for two weeks when the bottom end decided to exit the engine in a spectacular fashion with a big cloud of burning oil on the manifold and a really nast sound of engine bits breaking up...

sorry to rant on for so long but although a lot of this was avoidable im starting to believe in some cars are unlucky..

so 20k spent an still need another spray job and another engine ,

i thought i was unlucky with cars (2 blown engines,2 crashes) then one day it hit me, i used to drive like a wnaker, since i sorted my attitude to driving ive not any probs since, are you sure its not your right foot doing the damage?

Supra's weren't made to poodle mate, they should be able to stand quite a fair bit of "spirited" driving!

Being in the trade I do believe there are cars that are always going to keep coming back, for what ever reasons they just seem to become a regular!

Alot is due to poor maintenance, but most is the way they have been treated, if driving hard from cold start etc then your asking for trouble!

Edited by RobD (see edit history)

your driving a supra now mate, if you get a good one they do last:)

Yeah that's mostly the reason I ended up buying one and why I was keen on putting one in my Rex ;) I'm not saying I drive miss daisy just I don't go flat out everywhere anymore I pick my moments, hope you have some better luck mate there's nout worse then having a broken motor

Dude, if your still using the garage who didn't map the car/ run it long enough to get rid of/find the airlock that could well be your problem, you must still have a block so just get that built and fitted by someone more familiar with that type of car/engine, run it in and get it mapped..............................more to the point listen to that tuner, if he tells you something is not right and you trust him then change it.

Sorry to hear that.

No such thing as an unlucky car, they break if they have been treated poorly or the person that is working on them dont know his arse from his elbow, dont cut any corners when tunning a car and all will be good.:)

Like JP says the no cutting corners part is very important, the car can only ever be as strong as its weakest link, a £10 part can cost you an engine as fast as any other!!!!!!

Is there anything in particular that would destroy bottom end cos I hadn't been booting it and oil and water pressures were fine

Had the bottom end been apart at all, bent crank/rod or oil starvation, don't chuck the broken engines they can be rebuilt etc, we will buy em off you. Without having a looksee its hard to say.