The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my Oem Carbon mirrors !!

Dyer864

Hi Guys !

Well after a few months rethinking of wot to do with the exterior of my car, i fitted a new front bumper (early doluck) :), as on the multimedia section i posted a few weeks past , some replica oem side skirts and now the final peice of the jigsaw ;)

My oem carbon fibre mirors !!:)

Courtesy of a member on here who done me a fav. (who shall be nameless until he replies to my pm , just incase he doesn't want the hassle of members pm'ing him, as he said it was more time consuming than he thought, and it was only in his spare time he could do )

So wot you guy's think :rolleyes:

I shall post more pics with them on the car !

09082010028.jpg

09082010029.jpg

09082010030.jpg

09082010031.jpg

06072010022.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOWZES! thats pure awesomeness mate, time consuming? id say those should call for like £500 supplied! wow get the member to name himself so he can make some good £££. Id coat them with 4-5layers of lacquer just incase they get a deep scratch, as mirros do so you can just buff it out:)

LOVE THEM!

Yeah was well happy with them when they turned up this morning :)

They've been carbon layered a good few times then resined etc and finally laqured a few times !(not the cheap sticky carbon film crap, must i say)

Said he had a few niggly bits here and there and took a bit longer than thought , but was worth the wait !:)

Well since having such positive comments on these mirrors, i thought i'd get in touch with the member who did these as a fav. for me !

He did these just to see how he got on with them, and wot the time scale / costs etc. involved would be.

Has i can't divulge the price as he said it cost a bit more than anticipated, is that i supplied a spare set of wing mirrors , which i had hanging around, as i was thinking of doing this a while back and all in all , if you are looking for similar products i guess you are talking in the region of late £200's to £300

So i would like to thank Stevo :thumbs: ,(who kept in touch all the way thro even when things were not going to plan/ time wise) for a great job and all the best if this takes off for him , of course this will av to go thro the motions of the powers to be, i expect !

Many thanks Steveo

Well since having such positive comments on these mirrors, i thought i'd get in touch with the member who did these as a fav. for me !

He did these just to see how he got on with them, and wot the time scale / costs etc. involved would be.

Has i can't divulge the price as he said it cost a bit more than anticipated, is that i supplied a spare set of wing mirrors , which i had hanging around, as i was thinking of doing this a while back and all in all , if you are looking for similar products i guess you are talking in the region of late £200's to £300

So i would like to thank Stevo :thumbs: ,(who kept in touch all the way thro even when things were not going to plan/ time wise) for a great job and all the best if this takes off for him , of course this will av to go thro the motions of the powers to be, i expect !

Many thanks Steveo

Cheers for the kind words mate and I'm really pleased you like 'em :)

Appreciate your patience given that these took over a month longer than I originally told you. :rolleyes:

Yeah - as said, they were a bit of a pain at times with several of the resin coats not drying properly due to moisture/humidity in the air. Wetlaying certainly ain't the easiest of techniques to get right - especially on something like a mirror. Got there in the end though.

Have taken on board a few lessons learned for the next set...

Here's a few more pics:

P1030764.jpg

P1030761.jpg

P1030766.jpg

P1030768.jpg

WOWZES! thats pure awesomeness mate, time consuming? id say those should call for like £500 supplied! wow get the member to name himself so he can make some good £££. Id coat them with 4-5layers of lacquer just incase they get a deep scratch, as mirros do so you can just buff it out:)

LOVE THEM!

In addition to about 7 coats of resin each, they've been finished in HB SR bodyshop lacquer that has scratch resistant properties (though it won't prevent your wing mirror from being taken off ;))

I am going to be doing some more of this stuff (hopefully not just mirrors) and have PM'd Homer to make sure everything stays above the rules regarding hobbyist status etc.

Yes, the mirrors would be done on an exchange basis and based on what I now know about materials and the time involved, the cost would be somewhere around the £200 mark.