The mkiv Supra Owners Club

another day another crash

carl0s

this time not my fault thankfully, and the chap who caused the mini pile-up has accepted full responsibility. His Golf GTI looked like a write-off (both airbags out, front end well screwed) and so was the L-reg Mondeo that he pushed into me.

Initially there doesn't appear to be much damage to my car, BUT, here's the worrying bits.

1. The boot lock has gone in by nearly an inch.

2. I can't work out how, but the rubber around the offside rear light cluster is now outside of the rear quarter.. as though the bumper has pushed the rear quarter in.

3. I can get my fingers under one edge of the boot near the lock, and one side is high (notice the card in the pictures).

http://www.css-networks.com/bump/left.jpg http://www.css-networks.com/bump/right.jpg http://www.css-networks.com/bump/mid.jpg http://www.css-networks.com/bump/flacid.jpg http://www.css-networks.com/bump/erect.jpg

I needed a new rear bumper anyway since the paint was all cracked on one side. Not sure how my front bumper is 'cause I did slightly hit another car in front but she drove off unphased.

How do I go about finding a bodyshop who knows what they are doing? I mean if someone doesn't have access to the EPC, they won't even know what clips and stuff are used.. would you just send it to a Toyota Dealership? Bearing in mind I won't be paying.

honestly I will be feeling something tomorrow! The bottom of my kneck by the hairline and the front of my head was like a freakin headache at first. Doesn't half hurt!! I was like "shit..fck me...ow that hurt".

Girl passenger in the Golf was well shaking!

Seeing as your not paying, and as I've seen the quality of the work done I would have a chat with Dude. I know it's a trek for you but you can claim for those costs as well (including I believe any time lost at work)

Keep all fuel receipts and a log of telephone calls as well so you can claim for these. You can also claim for use of a courtesy car, although you do have an obligation to minimise the cost of your claim (ie you can't hire a 360 modana)

I've had the pleasure of causing a few accidents in my distant past (touching wood - I'll leave it up to you to decide what that means ;) ) and the people I've hit have right royally bent me over when it comes to what they claimed for. Too right too, I'd have done the same if it was me. In the end the insurance pays out, and someone else's premium goes up. Serves em right for causing you a inconvenience ;)

Hope it all works out.

Tony

mmm interesting. I'd like to have the work done by someone who knows what they're doing, and someone who also might lean in my favour if you see what I mean.

I'm just not sure what to do though - shall I ring *his* insurance company and say I have someone who will do the work. ummm.. and how does it work? I have no money - most bodyshops surely won't want to do work just on my word that the insurance company have said "go have it done, we'll pay the bill within 30 days".

what should I do? :D

Hi Carlos,

When the brainless women damaged my side & rear bumper just before Bolney, I had it fixed by Dude........you won't beat the job John does.

You can insist the the repair is done by YOUR prefered repairer, Not the third party's prefered cheapie:(

as stated before, you can claim for ALL costs, Petrol for the journeys to Dude for estimates etc, the cost of a comparable standard of car to yours ( I was allocated a Boxter or a Z4) not some silly Micra or Ford Ka

Give me a PM & i'll give you all the details of the Accident management company I used.......

If you are full comp, then you tell your insurance company about the accident and get their authorisation for the repairs. It's up to them to reclaim the money from the other persons insurers.

You don't have to take it to an 'approved repairer', but if you don't, you may have to pay for any courtesy / rental car up front, and try to reclaim it later.

Something is so not right with that back end like that fella. You may find this a significantly more expensive repair than it first looks. The bumper itself is very flexible so it will have transfered all the energy straight into the semi-girder that is on the other side of that bumper. If that has then transfered the load to the chassis and bent some of that in then mucho ouchio expenseevo to fix. You trying to get your these things happen in threes out of the way in one month???:(

the internal crossmember looks like this (from underside of car, inside bumper):

http://www.css-networks.com/bump/crossmember.jpg

ooops. I'll ring a solicitor tomorrow and see if they want to handle it all for me.

thanks for the advice so far.

Originally posted by Supragal

bad luck mate :(

don't I know it :)

I wanted a new rear bumper anyway 'cause the paint was cracked.

Hopefully they'll compensate me for my bad kneck too. Checking my blind spot is a friggin' nightmare now!

If you've got a personal injury then get it checked by a doctor. You may think "nah it's nothing - I'll get by" but you can make a claim for that as well. Personal injury is what insurance companies hate because it usually makes the settlement sky-rocket.

Originally posted by TLicense

If you've got a personal injury then get it checked by a doctor. You may think "nah it's nothing - I'll get by" but you can make a claim for that as well. Personal injury is what insurance companies hate because it usually makes the settlement sky-rocket.

mmmm I know. I am hoping to. I am a little worried that his insurance company is the same as mine. So whereas I would normally not even want to inform my insurance company that I am claiming on someone elses policy, I won't be able to - we're both with the same company.

Originally posted by lovatt

as you know mate im nr birmingham, feel free to send the car to us if you want it repaired by somebody who cares

would suit me nicely mate.

spoke to his insurers today and they said a letter was sent out to me explaining that they will fix my car, give me a courtesy car, and help me with any injuries I may have suffered! Thing is at this rate I might still be poorly in a years time so I really don't want to do anything about that just yet.

Hopefully the letter will come tomorrow so I'll ring them and say I have a preferred bodyshop.

That is of course if you are able - time to fit it in and what not? It needs a new crossmember on the rear, new rear bumper, and the boot is dented in a little bit.

If all goes well it might just time nicely with the front bumper coming from Far... maybe :-) Seems like it's coming from *very* far at this rate :D Only joking. I have no money so I'm not rushing anyone ;)

hehe not this time thank god :)

I've just got the bill through for the fence though - only £577. Still £577 I don't have but then I didn't have the ~£2,500 for the repairs either!!! Amazes me that I managed to pay that.. if only I could motivate myself that way all the time.

p.s. Chase I love your Avatar !