The mkiv Supra Owners Club

*shock* Failed MOT *horror*

Ewen

Well, smack me floppy bits...its never failed before, so when the mechanic chappie uttered those nasty words of doom, I actually said "really ?, are you sure ?".

Luckily it was just a bulb, handbrake adjustment and excessively loud exhaust noise.

Exhaust noise was a new one on me, but I slipped the mechanic a bung and he passed it.

Surprisingly low emissions too, at .385 with both cats out.

Read an article about Ryans lightest Supra in the world, had a cup of coffee, saw a buzzard. Life dont get much better than this.

Be careful with the exhaust volume. The police are starting to do roadside tests in some places and wouldn't be surprised if it catches on.

What will they base the exhaust noise test on though? surely they will have to do a like for like comparison with a standard car which i'm sure they will find very hard to do.

New cars will be fine to test but not a chance with the older ones and imports.

Not so bad then, surprised they pulled you up for the exhaust note. Obviously clutching at straws.

I was surprised last year when my Supra went through it's MOT. I know the guy and meant to mention the emissions but forgot. It sailed through, just getting through the emissions test with no bodging. Double de-cat on there too.

You didn't get picked up for not having a CAT fitted?

I've been warned before about the exhaust noise issue - always best to go to the test with a bung fitted if available, or choose a nice and civilised exhaust in the first place!

The noise issue is going to get worse, my local tester showed me the page from his VOSA update pack. He said it would be an easy one to pick up on if testers are lax about it. The Vosa inspector can park a short distance away and stop offending vehicles, tester has no job.:(

The noise issue is going to get worse, my local tester showed me the page from his VOSA update pack. He said it would be an easy one to pick up on if testers are lax about it. The Vosa inspector can park a short distance away and stop offending vehicles, tester has no job.:(

The customer could change the exhaust soon after the MOT though, that would surely be very hard to prove?

The customer could change the exhaust soon after the MOT though, that would surely be very hard to prove?

Not if the Vosa inspector watches the car drive from the test centre and stops it. That is how they do spot checks according to the tester I know. I dont think you as owner/driver of the car can refuse either.