The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DP Motorsport Wheels

philsmith1a

I’m after some new wheels for my black supra, ideally I don’t want to spend over £1000 including tyres.

I have found these from DP motor sport. The red lip (19”) ones are £580 and the replica rotors (18”) are £530 both without tyres.

I know they seem cheap but is there any reason why they would be a bad buy?

The replica Rotors are ASUKA RACE and the ones with the red lip are CRUIZE.

They do not come with tyres, they are apparently balanced and come with locking nuts and fitting kit??. No mention of a warranty.

If Cruise are not a decent manufacturer who makes a similar style with deep dish on the rears?

I beg to differ, i bought some cheap wheels, and they held up better than the Rays that i had on my Supra,

In fact a lot of these wheels are manufactured in the far east, and that includes Rotas, probably in the same factory.

Better quality wheels will be lighter and will be finished better, though. Agreed about Rotas, and Ultralites. I'm talking from experience :)

I would say never put cast wheels on big heavy high performance cars, they shatter on impact where a forged wheel like the stock items, will bend. 19 inch = ultra low profile tyres. Ultra low profile tyres = a real risk of rim to pothole edge, or rim to kerb contact. Solid contact = shattered rim = instant tyre deflation or tyre loss = very bad news. Also, do they fit the hubs snout correctly, or do they need the dreaded crutch, the adaptor ring? How heavy are they? Are they actually round and true? Sounds daft, and obviously a wheel is round and true?? WRONG!! A lot of cheap rims are neither round, nor true, and a constant source of steering shake and suspension damage. I have Julian Boulton's MKIV here, every time I take the genuine BBS's off I smile. My back gets no workout and you realise you get just what you pay for with rims.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I would say never put cast wheels on big heavy high performance cars, they shatter on impact where a forged wheel

I have experienced that on my old mk1 golf, when I 'found' a brick in the middle of a back round I was bombing round in SA, queue one shattered rear alloy and me in a sandbank...

Oooh, magnesium, nice. Those should have sold ages ago Paul. Probably the insecure youngsters are desiring an additional inch though.

Cheers Chris, yeah it amazes me how they all want to go for 19", crap quality and offsets and then stick cheapo tyres on them :(

My O.Z's are awesome. Granted the rears are a little heavy for 17s but they fit direct to the hub with no adapter and are more or less same offset as stock :)

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2879/martini.jpg

Oh my opinion on rotas...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/955/rotareamrims.jpg

:innocent:

Oops, I meant BBS LM rims, post edited, but OZ are also quality stuff of course. Be careful you don't buy Chinese fakes, there are a lot about. Correct BBS LM fitment at 18 inch is 9 inch fronts at 42 mm offset and 10 inch rear at 50 mm offset. No rolling or catching issues with sensible tyres. No tram lining. Can be dismantled for rim half replacement or refurbishment.

Dp motor of ebay, ive seen a few people buy 19" replica axis rims from them and never heard any trouble, have heard that their rims corrode though so you will be looking at a refurb after winter, making the total price near enough the same as wheels from rota. Im getting rota gtrs:D

My O.Z's are awesome. Granted the rears are a little heavy for 17s but they fit direct to the hub with no adapter and are more or less same offset as stock :)

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2879/martini.jpg

Oh my opinion on rotas...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/955/rotareamrims.jpg

:innocent:

Well that pic says it all, he was drifting, look at the tyre, so im not suprised the rim split from the centre like that. Im yet to hear of any rotas splitting on supras, so im still in for getting them.